CG88 asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

how did the enlistment process in the revolutionary war go?

i'm doing a report about the valley forge, from my own perspective as a soldier. I'm trying to incorporate the battle before the march to valley forge, the sicknesses and hardships of valley forge, and the victorious battle of yorktown. I'm a girl, so i wanted to put a little twist on the report and write from my perspective as a woman disguising myself as a man in order to fight in war.

My question is, how did the enlistment process go during the revolutionary war? I want to be a woman from new jersey enlisting to fight for my country but I don't know how the whole process went, and where i went from signing for a 3 year contract.

Favorite Answer

In colonial times, the Thirteen Colonies used a militia system for local defense. Colonial militia laws—and after independence those of the United States and the various states—required able-bodied males to enroll in the militia, to undergo a minimum of military training, and to serve for limited periods of time in war or emergency. This earliest form of conscription involved selective drafts of militiamen for service in particular campaigns. Following this system in its essentials, the Continental Congress in 1778 recommended that the states draft men from their militias for one year's service in the Continental army; this first national conscription was irregularly applied and failed to fill the Continental ranks.

For long-term operations, conscription was occasionally used when volunteers or paid substitutes were insufficient to raise the needed manpower. During the American Revolutionary War, the states sometimes drafted men for militia duty or to fill state Continental Army units, but the central government did not have the authority to conscript. President James Madison unsuccessfully attempted to create a national draft of 40,000 men during the War of 1812.[

Yes, there were drafts but often there were desertions as well. Often states were unable or unwilling to fill their quotas on men so you had an enlistment process. In this process, people who were usually officers from the areas they were recruiting in, went from town to town to get volunteers. Often they were able to offer pay because they were authorized by either Congress or the state and that unit would then provide the pay. Who was accepted into service depended on who was doing the recruiting. Some, such as Daniel Morgan, had rigid tests for anyone wishing to join his riflemen. Others would take anyone who could walk and take orders.

So, to sneak in as a woman you'd need to know where the recruiting was going on and try to sign up with an officer who was known to be lenient about who joined them. It would be best to tell them you were a laborer without a home, from the Boston of Philadelphia area , who made a living by doing whatever the boss wanted. Maybe even throw in a story about how a redcoat in Boston had you cut some wood and never paid you and you wanted revenge.

• ?

Have you googled this exact question.I just went there and there's a lot written about this.

It's too long to be. I suggest you to investigate on websites.

idk