How did the enlistment process in the revolutionary war go?

i'm doing a report about the valley forge, from my own perspective as a soldier. I'm trying to incorporate the battle before the march to valley forge, the sicknesses and hardships of valley forge, and the victorious battle of yorktown. I'm a girl, so i wanted to put a little twist on the report and... show more i'm doing a report about the valley forge, from my own perspective as a soldier. I'm trying to incorporate the battle before the march to valley forge, the sicknesses and hardships of valley forge, and the victorious battle of yorktown. I'm a girl, so i wanted to put a little twist on the report and write from my perspective as a woman disguising myself as a man in order to fight in war.
My question is, how did the enlistment process go during the revolutionary war? I want to be a woman from new jersey enlisting to fight for my country but I don't know how the whole process went, and where i went from signing for a 3 year contract.