Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

what is the weight of the air within a room having dim.of 10ft long x 12 ft wide with 10ft 6in ceilings?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

At STP the weight of the air is 101.68 lbs.

We assume that the room is at standard pressure and temperature (STP).

STP corresponds to 273 K (0° Celsius) and 1 atm pressure.

Since 1 cubic foot of air at standard temperature and pressure --- assuming average composition weighs approximately 0.0807 lbs. So roughly 13 cu ft of air at STP will weigh 1 pound.

If we take your given dimensions and calculate the room volume:

(10') x (12') x (10.5') = 1260 cu ft room volume

weight of air calculation:

(1260 cu ft) x ( 0.0807 lbs/ cu ft) = 101.68 lbs at 273 K (0° Celsius) and 1 atm pressure.

Weight of air in the room is 101.68 lbs

The may help:

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae650...

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryglossary/a/...

• Erika
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i'm continually having an identical venture, I nevertheless degree each and every thing in feet and inches, then ought to parent it out in metric for the save assistants. I many times calculate approximately 40 inches to a metre and artwork from there i'm not at all too a ways out the two, good success.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

For a first approximation,at average room conditions, about 13 cubic feet of air weighs a pound

Solve.

• 1 decade ago

I'm not going to offer calculations as that has been done already, but I do want to remind you that altitude makes a difference.

The calculation given seems okay for sea level, but if it is Denver, then you need to adjust for the thinner air. Remember, Denver is so high that the air is so much thinner that airplanes including jumbos like the 747 cannot take off with a full pay load.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • krk
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It varies according to atmospheric pressure.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.