Why are earthquakes important?

I have to do a project for science class. I can't find anything so would someone please help me?

* Why are earthquakes important?

* How does an earthquake occur?

* Describe the movement.

* Largest earthquake in the world?

* Some background information on earthquakes.

Please & Thank you !

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

An earthquake is a vibration of the Earth produced by a rapid release of energy (Tarbuck 378). The main features include the focus, the location within the Earth where the earthquake rupture starts, and the epicenter, the point on the Earth's surface directly above the focus. Earthquakes have a greater effect on society than most people think. These effects range from economical to structural to mental. An earthquake only occurs for a few brief moments; the aftershocks can continue for weeks; the damage can continue for years.

Earthquakes are usually caused when rock underground suddenly breaks along a fault. This sudden release of energy causes the seismic waves that make the ground shake. When two blocks of rock or two plates are rubbing against each other, they stick a little. They don't just slide smoothly; the rocks catch on each other. The rocks are still pushing against each other, but not moving. After a while, the rocks break because of all the pressure that's built up. When the rocks break, the earthquake occurs. During the earthquake and afterward, the plates or blocks of rock start moving, and they continue to move until they get stuck again. The spot underground where the rock breaks is called the focus of the earthquake. The place right above the focus (on top of the ground) is called the epicenter of the earthquake.

the biggest earthquake ever recorded, which occurred near the cities of Valdivia and Puerto Montt, Chile, in 1960. Known as the Great Chilean Earthquake, the quake measured an impressive 9.5 on the Richter scale. The death toll of the Great Chilean Earthquake is not known, although the USGS estimates about 1,655 people died, and the earthquake may have caused as much as $800 billion US Dollars (USD) in damage.

An earthquake (also known as a quake, tremor or temblor) is the result of a sudden release of energy in the Earth's crust that creates seismic waves. The seismicity or seismic activity of an area refers to the frequency, type and size of earthquakes experienced over a period of time. Earthquakes are measured with a seismometer; a device which also records is known as a seismograph. The moment magnitude (or the related and mostly obsolete Richter magnitude) of an earthquake is conventionally reported, with magnitude 3 or lower earthquakes being mostly imperceptible and magnitude 7 causing serious damage over large areas. Intensity of shaking is measured on the modified Mercalli scale.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • raper
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Important Earthquakes

• 4 years ago

Source(s): Ultimate Number Scan http://ReversePhoneNumberLookup.enle.info/?V27Z
  • 10 years ago

You need to read some books to know fully about earthquakes. The best book is Earthquake by Bruce A Bolt. Available at through away price at Amazon .com. The simple way is read my best answers on earthquake and Tsunami in my sight available through google. Just browse as A.Ganapathy India.You can read answers for thousands of important questions.

Source(s): My research work.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Earthquakes are the surprising launch of potential from the earth crust. So earthquake helps to understand the replace in earth crust and it additionally helps to foretell the volcano is turns into lively or no longer. The potential of the earthquake are waiting for the size of tsunami that produced by potential of the earthquake below the sea.

• 10 years ago

The movement is really difficult to explain

It isn't like a vibration, but a side to side circular type motion and has a really loud rumble almost like a jet engine/ train going through your house.

Source(s): Experienced a 7.1 less than 10km from my house.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.