Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 10 years ago

Is the "Applause" guitar by Ovation a good guitar?

I'm an intermediate level player and am currently using a $150 dollar Fender acoustic guitar. Would the applause be a good upgrade, or should I look elsewhere? I''m trying to get a decent guitar for under $350.

Favorite Answer

I disagree. Yes they are a good guitar, however I wouldn't purchase one because they are made in China/Indonesia. And for about the same price, you can find a real USA-made Ovation used-- I bought a Glen Campbell Legend a few years ago fof $450 -it's fantastic for the price. It has a solid spruce top on the Ovation composite "bowl" - and very good electronics. It sounds great both as an acoustic and as an acoustic-electric.

As far as playability - that totally depends how they're set up. My Ovation has an action that is almost as low/fast as my electric solid-body guitars. It is very comfortable to sit with and stand with. It was professionally set up however.

You can't compare these to a $3000 Martin or Taylor, but if you're going to play gigs - I want something that's bulletproof, and that's the huge advantage to the Ovation design. You can bang them around and not hurt them. I wouldn't take a $3000 Taylor into a bar.

Source(s): Played 45 taught 35.
  • leu

Ovation Applause

I personally do not like them. They are somewhat difficult to play comfortably, and I feel like the sound is too weak and too heavy in the mid-range. If you really love Ovation, try to find a used (or on-sale) Celebrity model. They are a bit richer in tone, but I still wouldn't recommend one for the other reasons.

In your price range, I hear a LOT of good things about the Seagull S6 models. I have personally played one at a local guitar store, and the soundboard was definitely much more alive than comparably priced Fender and Ibanez models.

The acoustic guitar works because the vibration of the strings causes sympathetic vibration in the soundboard (top) of the guitar. Vibration works in both directions. So if you want to know how well an acoustic will sing, tap sharply on the soundboard. If the strings don't audibly start ringing, move on. Next time you're at a guitar store, try it on a $2,500 Taylor or Martin and you'll see what I mean. If you're lucky enough to live near a dealer, try it on a Benedetto or an Eastman and you will not believe what a plank of wood can sound like.

• garnto

Applause Guitars

RE:

Source(s): quot applause quot guitar ovation good guitar: https://trimurl.im/a77/is-the-quot-applause-quot-g...