Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 9 years ago

are Winchester black talons valuable?

when I bought my Jericho 941 about 8 months ago, the guy gave me a full mag of Winchester black talon 9mm's. today I seen a guy on midwest gun trader selling 45 acp's for $25 a piece WTF???? are they really worth that much? http://www.midwestguntrader.com/viewad.asp?id=5800...

rick- I think he is selling them for $25 a round, not box. if they were $25 a box I would quickly buy them.

Favorite Answer

I wouldn't pay that much. I wouldn't pay close to that much.

Must be a 'cool' factor there. There are so many choices on the market right now for defensive ammo, I can't see anyone, even dumb kids, paying that much for one round.

But, as they say, something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

• akluis

They are valuable to stupid people.

First off, Black Talons were never designed to work well at 9mm weights and velocities. They were originally intended for357 magnum and 44 magnum type applications, as hunting rounds, etc.

Because they were black and unfolded into a 'talon' people thought they were uber-special, armor penetrating, and a whole lot of other BS.

Winchester rode that wave of popularity for a while by putting black talons out in all sorts of combos.

Of course the antigunners eventually put a ton of pressure on winchester about black talon. I don't recall if they were made illegal everywhere, but many municipalities enacted restrictions on them. I think winchester could have sued and overturned these laws, but they didn't

What Winchester did was bring out the Ranger SXT...which stood for Same Exact Thing, they just colored them metallic yellow rather than black.

Since then Winchester has actually improved it's SXT line, making them perform better at lower weights and lower velocity, so Winchester SXT is actually a good choice in 9mm.

So anyone who is paying a premium for 'black talon' is being stupid.

Absolutely not, unless you only have one shot at an agressor. The Black talons open up like no other hand gun ammo, creating a larger wound cavity, causing the loss of blood quicker.........$25 a box seems like a rip to me....I can get a box of Winchester silvertip's for $25, so I will stick with those.

Source(s): Retired police officer

The original "Black Talons" were pulled from the market because of their so called devastating effects, as in you shoot someone and they die. They (gun banners) tried to have them labeled as cop killers. Winchester makes a self defense round now called the Ranger SXT that has a similar bullet with less power to pacify the liberals. Black Talons do have awesome stopping power and make one hell of a hole since when they expand on impact they retain up to 98% of they mass and a .45 will expand out to about 1.25 inches in diameter. Winchester has since introduced its' PDX1 line of handgun ammunition that incorporates some of the old Talon technology but also has many new innovations as well.

$25 a piece is stupid steep but I guess if you want them bad enough.........I wouldn't pay it.

• larry

As I recall from the ads/pictures of those things opened up, I remember thinking at the time how it reminded me of those outrageous-looking fishing lures intended to catch more fishermen than fish!

The theory that "slicing like a broadhead with knives was better than a broad actual wound channel", tends to appeal to some who haven't thought about it a lot. So as reality has settled onto the market and the "whirling knives" aren't proving to be an improvement, and lack of sales has produced at first a mini-glut on shelves which wasn't re-ordered, eventual scarcity of a legendary black-caped marauder in bullet form has upped the price to properly respect the dreams of undertrained enthusiasts with disposable mad money.

It is entertaining that Winchester dumped the black color to sell off existing stocks, after many municipalities suckered for the whirling blades hype and banned them.

On gun broker the 9mm I saw were $107 for 40 rounds.

Since the product comes packed 20 to a box, they are priced in box lots, hence the $25 each.

no they are worthless