xx{Laa_Laa]xx asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

What breed of dog gets adopted last at a shelter? PLEASE ANSWER.?

What breed of dog gets adopted last at a shelter? or what type of dog is less likely to be adopted, big or small etc. Why?

Thanks.

x

• JenVT
    Favorite Answer

actually, it's not breed, it's color and size. large black dogs are the last. if I had to guess a breed I would say a pittie, but it's hard to judge since there are so many in shelters.

I ended up working at an animal shelter, the shelter was a no kill shelter but when they ended up with to many dogs they only had the option to send them to a kill shelter. What was shocking though is that I found out that when they brought in hounds or hunting dogs they were usually immediately put down. They always end up staying in the shelter the longest and are rarely adopted so most of the kill shelters won't even try to adopt them because there are so many.

The town I use to live in had coon dog trials, and every year after the big event lots of the dogs that didn't place or do good enough where killed or let loose. It was a huge problem. So I'm not a hundred percent sure if the hunting dog issue is the same in every state. But it can get pretty bad.

It is said that black dogs don't find homes as fast as other colours. It's also true that the older dog may not appeal, go as fast, as a younger dog, and puppies find homes quickest of all. So I guess if you are a black elderly dog, you won't be finding a home any time soon - maybe!!

As for temperament, obviously the one that comes forward will have more kerb appeal, to most people, than the one that hangs back and looks bored about the whole thing. There are always people who feel sorry for the one at the back of the kennel however. The more full on dog, the one that rushes the fencing, will put most people off too - although the aggressive won't be up for adoption in any case.

Small to medium dogs are going to appeal to more people, especially these days when people are strapped for cash (feed).

So the black, elderly, retiring (or overly boisterous), big dog is also facing a long wait ??

ps Don't necessarily be put off by an elderly dog who perhaps has a medical problem. Many Shelters will help owners who take these dogs on, with the cost of any ongoing medical needs. It's very rewarding to take on a needy dog like this.

• Ocimom

Shelters usually have the hardest time adopting out any size black dog. And its the most one turned into shelters. I would guess the larger the dog, the less likely its adopted. Most small breeds are not there very long because people want a small dog rather then a large one.

Can't tell you what particular breed. I adopted a medium sized mixed breed about 45 lbs 7 years old and probably one of the least adoptable because of age. Take a look at all the dogs in the shelter and you will probably spot one that is the least likely to get a new home. Ours turned out to be friendly and lots of fun. He is now around 13 and still a sweetheart.

Source(s): Personal experience.

There's really no answer to that I think. If I were to guess I would say big, because they tend to be most work, a lot of younger people adopt, they usually don't have a big yard and live in a small apartment. Little dogs are just easier to take care of. I could be wrong but your guess is as good as mine. Also the less social dogs, nobody wants a dick of a dog whether its big or small.

Source(s): I've owned big and small dogs, I know whats up.
  • ?

There is no real answer for this. It depends on what sort of lifestyle a potential home leads and what sort of personality traits they are looking for in a dog. If an elderly person wants to adopt a dog they are more likely to go for a mature age smaller breed, whereas if a person living alone is seeking a one on one guard and companion dog they might be more inclined to go for a larger breed like a doberman. It really depends on what the individual is looking for.

One this is for sure. Puppies are always the first to go and Mature age dogs are usually the last.

Source(s): Been to many rescue facilities searching for the perfect dog.

There isn't really a true answer for this because many people who get dogs at animal shelters are looking for different things in a dog(size,age,temperment,etc) but at the shelter I volunteer at, its the older and extremely large dogs that are harder to get adopted.

• Inga

Here are the dogs that most often get passed up in shelters.

Old dogs

Black dogs

Sick dogs

Sometimes a dog's energy will do it. If a dog is cowering in the back of the cage, it might get passed by. People like happy. So a dog wagging its tail and jumping up all over the place makes people think its happy.

Breed and size don't play that big of a role.

probably large dogs, old dogs, and by appearance (mongrels) I have 2 rescue dogs. One is a shitzu that was going to be put down the next day and was matted to the skin. He is beautiful now that he was cleaned up and has been with me for 8 yrs now and I recently got a blue heeler mix puppy who was very sickly but is doing great now. I also have a siberian husky but he was bought and not a rescue dog because my son wanted him. Just check out your shelter in your town a find one that you like.

• Aussie

A big dog is definitely harder to find a home for, because only people who are confident the dog can be controlled will get it.

Also, Pit bulls and their mixes have a reputation, so a lot of people who have fear of potential problems with biting, and viciousness toward other dogs or people will pass over that breed.

Older dogs of any size are also difficult to find homes for, as people want puppies or young dogs.

My rescues are two older dogs, 5 and 7 years old when I got them, and one two year old.

They are all medium sized. One big dog will not fit in my yard, but three smaller dogs do. I figure I saved three lives.

EDIT: 'Pit bull rescues and local animal shelters are a great source of excellent pits. Especially when you consider that 25% of all dogs that are euthanized are pure breds.

Pit bulls are currently the most over-bred dogs in our society. Sadly, the current excessive demand for them is fueled to a great extent by high-risk owners who often abuse and abandon them.

Consequently, it is estimated that only 1 in 600 pit bulls ever finds a permanent, loving home. That means the other 599 live all or part of their lives in shelters or on the streets where they eventually succumb to injury, disease or starvation.'

Read more:

http://www.the-proper-pitbull.com/pit-bull-rescues...