Was the price I paid to have a tree removed fair?

My yard man cut down my tree in my front yard and hauled it away. He charged me $450. The tree was about 30 feet tall and about 15 feet wide. It took 3 trailer loads to remove it. He did not remove the stump. I know the price is on the high end, but how high?

Favorite Answer

We have several properties here in Oklahoma and had to have trees removed from each property. We paid an average of $600 to $800 a tree, but they did a very professional job compared to the tree removals we've seen around the neighborhood. The crew also used a stump grinder and ground the stumps down below ground level and filled the hole in with dirt. They hauled everything off and actually raked the yard clean. Before they started they prepped the yard by putting plywood on the lawn to protect it from the heavy machinery. The trees were 50-75 feet tall. They did an excellent job.

Price sounds about right.

Have you considered how you can use the stump? If you have access to a chain saw you can make an excellent seat, facing out into your garden. Its what we did. The wood will start to rot, but you can slow this down by digging a small furrow around the stump and also pouring acrylic oil solutions onto it. Our stump is over 3 years old and with no sign of rotting out! It looks a great feature.

Source(s): personal experience

$500 is the last price I heard. For a 30 foot tree the $450 sound about right. That is a lot of work even for $500. Most leave the stump. It will rot away in a year of so.

• Larry

A lot depends on the location of the tree.Is it close to a building or anything that might get damaged? Is it easy or hard for him to get to?The price sounds fair.

That's generally the average price here in Ontario. Some include the stumping and some don't, you have to negotiate it.

• Erin

I live in Houston city limits and this past spring had a large oak tree pruned. It involved power lines and was hanging over my house as well as my neighbor's house. It took a crew of 4 men about 6 hours to prune and haul off the branches. $1200.00 This was a bonded contractor and there was no damage to the property. The power lines are clear and the roof lines of both houses are clear. The oak tree is still just as large,but looks better. There was no charge for the estimate.

• Sue F

Sounds very inexpensive to me.

Here in New England, a similar sized tree would cost closer to $1,000.00 to remove.

Source(s): Have had several trees removed on my property over the last twenty years.

It depends on where you live and how close the tree was to buildings, power lines ect.

You got away cheap, at least in ohio you would have.

It would be better if you had given $425 to him.