Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo MailAbuse and Spam · 1 decade ago

Do you get tired of all these award shows....?

...I could care less about the Grammy's not being on last night.

I personally feel like its ridiculous to reward all these over paid actors and actresses over and over again. Not to mention half the movies that are awarded are barely watched and known.

Favorite Answer

I didn't even know the Golden Globes & Grammy's weren't on until I woke up this morning and it was a leading news story on TV. (Figures, they'd count that as major news)

Personally, I think industry awards are nice in that they recognize leaders in the field, but too often, in any industry you might work in, they are simply political rather than actually recognizing talent & ability & achievement. In the case of these high-profile award shows, I think it is further ridiculous all of the "goody bag" gifts they get just for showing up to them. The cost of these things often far exceeds the average income for an individual in the U.S.

They want to have awards? Fine, but I'm perfectly happy with them having them as they did the Golden Globes, where there was no major fanfare, it simply happened. Too bad it took a writer's strike to do this, since when they come back they'll probably be just as over the top as ever.

Ok, yes these actors are all paid to the max. But I do enjoy the award shows. I do not agree though that the movies rewarded are not seen. I make a point to see the movies that are honored and they are usually the ones with solid writing, excellent acting and maybe not the Blockbuster sales movies. I am a movie person, so I am familiar with the movies and think they do a credible job of rewarding the winners with of course movies that are overlooked.

I do think they often miss out on the tv shows though.....I think some actors like Chris Meloni, Vincent D'Oniffrio, and others get lost in the shuffle in favor of media hype. And why is Craig Ferguson never given a late night show Emmy of GG. He is the best!

I agree with you and I guess it's just a TV show to move money and make lots of earnings. Everybody watches this show right? So that's the main part of the entertainment business.

How can a soccer/football player earn millions of dollars/euros per year? They earn more than a Nobel prize winner or professionals that contribute to save lifes!! Because this showmen, actors and sports man/woman take many people to the theaters, stadiums or in front of the TV so any company can put their ADS and pay millions to the broadcasters. That's the business. It's money. And I am as tired as you!!!

In case of the actors or actresses well they also take crowds to the cinema so the film producers make lots of money. Somehow they have handled to make this a big show that I guess started different many years ago.

Like massive sports, many years ago it was unthinkable that a sport player earn millions until TV arrived and changed everything.

You watch TV, you see an AD, you buy the product (usually something not useful or healthy), companies put more ADS, actors and sports man/woman earn more money. It's rude but that's what happens.

As far as music award shows go,I stopped watching with the advent of rap music. It is the lowest form of music ever recorded and I got sick and tired of performances by rappers looking like they hate everyone & everything on the planet. They act like the world owes them everything, when they should be thankful to the listening public for all their fame & fortune. A shining example of this is from a few years ago when kanye west won a number of awards at the Grammys and all he could think of to say was "we run dis". Arrogant, self-indulging, ego-maniacle, illiterate & uneducated. What he did years later to Taylor swift didn't surprise me at all. Once again he proved that rappers are in serious need of a lesson in humility.

How ridiculous is it that no other profession rewards itself so much? Even sports stars with their outrageous salaries don't have so many awards. Forget teachers, police officers, firefighters - let's hand out awards and $200,000 goodie bags to actors! I call all these awards shows mutual masturbation (pardon my French).

The whole Hollywood machine makes me sick to this end. They have so much money and power flowing, and they choose to honor themselves with it, not do good for the world.

I really couldn't care less if Leonardo DiCaprio gets another statue or if Tom Hanks gives another speech.I say good riddance! If this is what it takes to get celebrities to stop primping in the mirror for one night, then the writer's strike is worth every missed episode of my favorite shows.

Plus, most are extra boring at the beginning to save the "good stuff" for the end.

I completely agree!

I agree mostly they are a yawn

• Janez

I don't watch them.

J