Can urinary tract infection affect you from having children?

I had UTI for 12-13 years (since I was born basically) of my life and I am now engaged and was just wondering if that can affect me from having children (Not that I am thinking of having children right now but for later).

Favorite Answer

Your doctor would definitely need to know about this history. Repeated UTI's can causes scaring in you bladder which can contribute to more UTI's and swelling causing urinary retention and stagnation. Pregnancy can cause further urinary retention which increases the risk of a UTI. UTI's are one of the main causes of premature birth and when your pregnant you may be asymptomatic. Your doctor may put you on a pregnancy friendly prophylactic antibiotic to prevent UTI's while pregnant. He may also give you something to promote urination.

Source(s): I'm an APN

I have a uti right now. Lucky me :( but I don't think it can effect that part if your body