How do microwaves cook food?

Our oven recently broke down and we have bought a microwave to replace it temporarily. I've never had a problem with other peoples microwaves, I'm just not to keen on having my own. So, I put my microwave chips in and within five minutes, they where done; perfect, just like the oven. Only it just took five,... show more Our oven recently broke down and we have bought a microwave to replace it temporarily. I've never had a problem with other peoples microwaves, I'm just not to keen on having my own. So, I put my microwave chips in and within five minutes, they where done; perfect, just like the oven. Only it just took five, where as the oven takes twenty minutes. Something inside of me tells me that It's clearly not as healthy. How did they cook my chips so fast?
Update: @John, If you're not going to give me a decent answer then don't "answer" my question. Who's the dumb*ss now?