Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 9 years ago

What's the difference between a flight plan VFR and IFR?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Acer
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

VFR = Visual flight rules

IFR = Instrument flight rules.

Instrument flight requires air traffic control to know where you are so you they can direct you away from traffic you may not see as you fly thru clouds--other flying traffic may be in the same clouds.

Visual flight means you cannot be in any clouds at all and see and be seen keeps you safe.

• John R
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

A VFR flight plan is just a request for search and rescue services - you are telling the FAA that 'I am flying from point A to Point B, if I do not arrive at Point B in a reasonable amount of time, please start looking for me". You provide an intended route of flight, but there is no requirement that you stay on that route. The only purpose is so they know where to start looking if you do not show up at your destination.

An IFR flight plan requires an exact route be specified, and results in air traffic control providing a specific clearance. The clearance means that ATC will keep you separated from all other IFR traffic, but you are not to deviate from the clearance once you accept it. The clearance may or may not be the same as the route you filed in your flight plan.

• loehr
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Ifr Flight Planner

• 9 years ago

VFR stands for Visual Flight Rules. Flights conducted under VFR must fly in conditions of visibility that are above certain minimums, so that other aircraft can be seen and avoided by pilots. VFR flight requires that pilots stay a certain distance away from clouds, and requires that the pilots be able to see a certain minimum distance out the windows. Flight inside clouds and in weather foggy enough to push visibility below these minimums is prohibited under VFR.

IFR stands for instrument flight rules. Flights conducted under IFR can be flown even in conditions of little or no visibility, and there are no restrictions on flying through fog or clouds. In most cases, air traffic controllers help aircraft to maintain separation among themselves using radar, and the aircraft also have on-board radar that serves a similar purpose. Flight under IFR can be conducted just by looking at the instruments in the cockpit, without ever looking outside the windows.

Most private pilots fly under VFR most of the time, because it's easier. However, flying VFR does limit a pilot to flying in good weather. VFR flights don't require a flight plan, but a flight plan is still a good idea.

Commercial airline flights fly under IFR, even when the weather is good. IFR is more complex than VFR but it's also much safer, since it doesn't depend on being able to see clearly outside the airplane. Flying IFR requires that a pilot receive extra training. It is much more disciplined and regulated than VFR. The pilots of an airliner flying IFR can fly to their destination and land safely even with cardboard covering the windows. IFR flights must be filed in flight plans.

The abbreviations VFR and IFR refer only to the rules under which a flight is carried out, not to weather conditions. Weather conditions are designated as VMC or IMC. VMC stands for visual meteorological conditions, which means weather conditions in which both VFR and IFR flights are legal. IMC stands for instrument meteorological conditions, which means weather conditions in which only IFR flights may be conducted.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

the difference is in rules under which you perform the flight.

there will be differences in available routes for vfr and ifr flights.

skipper> the key benefit from filing the VFR flight plan is that you are definitely KNOWN to ATC, thus being provided with the SAR service. THAT improves your safety, though not the flight safety itself.

• 3 years ago

that's probable merely the internet internet site's regular reaction to what it "thinks" is an IFR cancellation. Continental airlines, i could think of is like another airline i comprehend of, and does no longer enable enroute VFR operation. even if so, they could have had to descend under 18,000 feet to cancel IFR (all flights at school A airspace, that's above 18,000 feet contained in u.s., could desire to be IFR.) Flying from Illinois to PHX at decrease than 18,000 feet in something that Continental flies merely does no longer make experience, regardless of any air site visitors hassles they have been encountering. web pages, have confidence it or no longer, do no longer continuously tell the fact. merely like my reaction could be a lie. you will merely could desire to learn it for your self, i assume.

• 9 years ago

The words VFR and IFR each have two definitions- flight rules, and weather conditions. Go here: http://stoenworks.com/VFR%20flight.html to learn more.

• 9 years ago

go to wikipedia.org english part is better search them and know every thing you want about them.

Source(s): wiki
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.