Josh asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

Why is it that in French, "huit jours" , which literally means eight days, can also mean "a week"?

We were discussing this in French class, and we couldn't come up with a logical answer. Thanks!

It was made as to be an equality in our French book. For example the book says "Il est resté huit jours." is equal to "He stayed a week." When I searched the internet, I also saw "après huit jours" meant "after a week". Not sure which francophone country or countries this may be used in, if any.

Best Answer

"huit jours" refers to the ancient Romans' eight day week.

Technically, the French do have a seven day week, but they consider 8 days an accomplished full week.

1. Lundi 2. Mardi 3. Mercredi 4. Juedi 5. Vendredi 6. Samedi 7. Dimanche 8. Lundi

I'm a native speaker and I've never heard this! Maybe the book was not made by native speakers? In my head 8 days equal to a week + 1 day, not just a week.

Unlike this story of "8 days", it's true that in French you have something peculiar with the days: we often say "15 jours" to refer to the time span of two weeks, while in reality two weeks is equal to 14 days.

Source(s): native speaker

Sure, they use it, in fact even if you watch something like an American TV show and put on the subtitles, a week will translate to 'huit jours'. This is because the French count their week to be from, for example, one Monday morning to another. I guess they don't want to miss any days!

I live in Quebec, where we speak french, and I never heard that. Where is this used?

EDIT:

No, the French do not count 8 days as a week. There is a word "huitaine", which is used like "dozen" for counting things grouped into eight items. It can be used to mean, "about a week", because on the eighth day, a week has passed. It's not used very often in this sense. And, huitaine is not a synonym for week.

The Beatles wrote a song called, "Eight Days a Week". And last I checked, they're all British.

• Julie G2 years agoReport

I’m American and lived in France for several years. That’s where I learned huit jours meant one week. So they say it in many regions in France.

Huit In French

I don't know. The word for week is -la semain it comes from the words seven and mornings.

Source(s): abuelito.