Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Does it make a difference when you add spices during cooking?

Does it make a difference if you add spices at the start of the cooking process as opposed to adding them at the end? Are there some spices that should be added later in the cooking process and some that should be added early in the process?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Adding fresh herbs during cooking. As a general rule, add fresh herbs near the end of the cooking time or just before serving as prolonged heating can cause flavor and aroma losses.

Add the more delicate fresh herbs -- basil, chives, cilantro, dill leaves, parsley, marjoram and mint -- a minute or two before the end of cooking or sprinkle them on the food before it's served.

The less delicate fresh herbs , such as dill seeds, oregano, rosemary, tarragon and thyme, can be added about the last 20 minutes of cooking.

For some foods, such as breads, batters, etc., you'll need to add fresh herbs at the beginning of the cooking process.

Adding dried herbs and spices during cooking. Follow these tips and techniques for best taste when adding dried spices and herbs during cooking.

Dried whole spices and herbs (such as whole allspice and bay leaves):

- Release their flavors slower than crumbled or ground ones.

- Are ideal for dishes cooking an hour or more, such as soups and stews.

Dried ground spices and herbs :

- Release their flavor quickly.

- May taste best in shorter-cooker recipes or added nearer the end of longer-cooking ones.

Dried crumbled herbs may differ:

- Milder herbs (such as basil) may flavor best added toward the end of cooking.

- More robust herbs (such as thyme) can stand longer cooking periods.

Freshly grinding spices (such as black pepper and nutmeg) provides more flavor than buying them already ground. This also applies to using them in uncooked foods.

Secure whole spices , such as cloves, in a tea ball for easy removal at the end of cooking.

Warning: Remove bay leaves at the end of cooking. They can be a choking hazard if left in foods and can cause harmful cuts and scratches in your throat and esophagus.

Uncooked foods. For uncooked foods, i.e. salad dressings, butters, dips, etc. add both fresh and dried spices and herbs several hours before serving to allow flavors to blend. (Excepting fresh basil as it becomes bitter the longer it stands)

http://www.indianfood-recipes.com/food_articles_gu...

• 1 decade ago

you know, I normally troll people, but I am actually going to help you. luck you

anyways, when you add spices earlier in the cooking process, the flavours from them spread to all of the other parts of the dish. The longer you have the meal cooking with the spices in it, the more flavourful it will be. Normally you would want to have water or broth in the meal (to some extent) to help the spices taste travel around.

Source(s): being awesome at cooking
  • 1 decade ago

Fresh garlic - depending on the dish degrades fast in high heat - add later Thai dishes add garlic and shallots in mid dish and become mild and flavorful

When I make spaghetti sauce, I add my dry spices when cooking the onions and garlic to sort of toast them.

For fresh spices, I add them later because they degrade so fast.

Source(s): cooking for a long time
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes they do, some take time to release their tastes.

This guide will outline what to use them for.

http://www.goodcooking.com/herspice.htm

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.