What disability did Forrest Gump have?

It's easy enough to call him slow, and he did not appear to have down's syndrome, so what did he have?

I have to write about a movie for my Special Ed class where the main character is disabled. This was one of the choices.

Favorite Answer

His disability would have been developmentally delayed until age 8. A child can no longer be under that category after 8 years old. His disability from 8 into adulthood would be intellectually disabled. There are three different levels to intellectual disabilities. They are mild, moderate, and severe. Forrest Gump probably fell somewhere in the mild to moderate range based on the movie. Mental retardation is a very outdated term, although it was considered politically correct in the 60s-80s and even into the 90s. In order to be classified as intellectually disabled your IQ must be below 70.

I saw the one answerer looked it up and he had an IQ of 75! That surprises me because they portrayed him as much lower than most people I know with IQ's in that range.

Source(s): I teach students with intellectual disabilities in the mild to moderate range.

Forrest Gump Disability

I think Forrest Gump was a movie that tried to signify the way of human growth. Doesn't matter who or how u are your just as equal as anyone else. Throughout the movie it focussed on a certain individual (Forrest Gump) maturing into a man. He had plenty of obstacles to face either Physically, mentally, and emotionally he went through them with the greatest strength he could offer. I believe the Leaf symbolizes freedom because once a leaf is detached from it's host it is free to do whatever it is able to do and in this case Forrest was tied down to the pressures of human insults and pressure that he found the courage to break free, hence the scene where he was running from his enemies and his cast broke off, and spread his wings. Watching this movie shows the courage of oneself making either a difference in his or anyone elses self.

Philip is correct. Forrest Gump had Aspergers Syndrome, aka Autism Disorder Syndrome 1 (ASD-1). Like most individuals with autism, he had difficulty communicating and navigating social situations. Although he was verbal, he had a language processing disorder that made his responses seem slow compared to a neurotypical person. He also interpreted figurative phrases people said to him literally, which is another characteristic of many Aspies. He had a pure, childlike heart, as many Aspies do. Despite his inability to communicate in social reciprocal manner, he was able to figure out the answers to problems through extreme tenacity and repetitive behaviors (i.e. running and running an running across the country, hanging in there with Lt. Dan despite his eschewing him, and staying out on the shrimp boat despite the storm). His purity and honesty are demonstrated when he gave half the money from the shrimp profits to Bubba's mother. He was able to do well despite his differences due to a kind mother who raised him well with a lot of social rules disguised as simple aphorisms to make the terrain of life easier to negotiate (i.e. "Life is a box of chocolates..."). He was also blessed with economic abundance and favorable conditions during his childhood, which shielded him from further trauma.

His disability would have been borderline developmentally delayed. He was above the IQ threshold for mental retardation, but on a day to day basis he exhibited low social skills and intellectual skills as well. The saving grace was that his "deficiencies" generally worked out in his favor.

I believe he had borderline intellectual functioning IQ 71-84 or mild mental retardation IQ 50-70.

I have a son with a similar intelligence rating and similar behavioral and social skills. At a young age I took him to a psychologist who diagnosed him with "Asperger s Syndrome" also called "Asperger s Disorder". Aspergers Syndrome is similar to "Autism" but is distinguishingly different. Asperger s Syndrome lacks many of the traits that distinguish the two disabilities and the traits that the two share are not as severe as patient s who are diagnosed with Autism. I am not a medical professional, but having a son with this disorder I have had a lot of experience dealing with this disorder.

• FUNdie

I think he just had mild mental retardation. Just enough to be a "simple" man who understood the world through the eyes of a child, but not so much that he couldn't graduate from college or join the military.

He did not have a mental health problem just a low IQ of 75.