L asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

if I add orange food coloring to yellow cake mix, will it turn orange?

I messed up and bought yellow cake mix instead. I am going to make candy corn cupcakes, with the yellow mix staying yellow for the bottom layer, but on the top layer I want to make it orange.

Best Answer

Add small amounts of red food coloring until the color is what you want. The orange may not work.

Orange is a secondary color. You will want to add red to yellow in order to get orange. The amount of red will dictate the intensity of color. I would experiments with small amounts of batter adding to this various amounts of food color in order to get just the right shade of orange.

Hope this works for you.

Happy Halloween

It might just make it a brighter yellow. Use the red, but add it s l o w l y, mixing well.

• KDL

No, yellow and orange make golden yellow. Yellow and red make orange. http://www.wikihow.com/Mix-Colors

Happy Halloween!

• C.M. C

Kat, no not orange, that won't work, you can use red, but a very little at a time, till you get the desired color.

it probably will... when u r adding the food coloring just start with like one drop, and see if u need more cuz u can always add more but u cant add less.

Source(s): me

you should probably use red