L asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

if I add orange food coloring to yellow cake mix, will it turn orange?

I messed up and bought yellow cake mix instead. I am going to make candy corn cupcakes, with the yellow mix staying yellow for the bottom layer, but on the top layer I want to make it orange.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Add small amounts of red food coloring until the color is what you want. The orange may not work.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Orange is a secondary color. You will want to add red to yellow in order to get orange. The amount of red will dictate the intensity of color. I would experiments with small amounts of batter adding to this various amounts of food color in order to get just the right shade of orange.

Hope this works for you.

Happy Halloween

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It might just make it a brighter yellow. Use the red, but add it s l o w l y, mixing well.

• KDL
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

No, yellow and orange make golden yellow. Yellow and red make orange. http://www.wikihow.com/Mix-Colors

Happy Halloween!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • C.M. C
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Kat, no not orange, that won't work, you can use red, but a very little at a time, till you get the desired color.

• 9 years ago

it probably will... when u r adding the food coloring just start with like one drop, and see if u need more cuz u can always add more but u cant add less.

Source(s): me
  • 9 years ago

you should probably use red

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.