URGENT!! Can you help with my homework? - Music Theory - Repeated Triads?

Can someone please explain to me how to write repeated triads? I don't understand the assignment.

This is exactly what my assignment says: Writing Repeated Triads: The first triad of each pair is complete. For each, decide whether the position of the first triad needs to be changed or whether the same position may be maintained. In some examples, either way will be satisfactory.

In the book, the example (and the ONLY example!!) (in the key of A) shows Treble Clef A and E, Bass Clef C and A (or SATB - AECA) and following, gives the outer voices (soprano and bass) Treble C and Bass A.

I have a pretty bad teacher, and the book is not much more help.

If you need a visual aid to better understand what I'm asking, check the following link, scroll down to number nine. This is the closest thing I could find on the internet to the type of homework I have to do.

My question is... can you explain to me (in understandable language) what I am expected to do? And then, please help explain HOW to do it.

Thank you to anyone who can assist me!

Favorite Answer

Funny, I opened my 20 yr old theory book to repeated triads and found the exact the same assignment and example. Anyhoo, on to your question. In the example, A is the bass, C# the tenor (you said C, which would make it a minor triad), E the alto, and A the soprano. When changing positions, the bass and 1 other voice will remain stationary, while the other 2 will exchange or switch tones. So if the bass stays on A, and the soprano goes up to C#, then that means 1 of the remaining voices would be stationary, while the last remaining voice would change. So, if it's (from bass to soprano) A-C#-E-A in the example, and the soprano changes to C#, then the correct way to write it would be A-A-E-C#. The bass and the alto have remained stationary, while the tenor and soprano have exchanged tones. Hope this helps. I gave up on music theory years ago. My sanity is more important. Good luck.

Source(s): Elementary Harmony 4th ed. by Robert W. Ottman

You're supposed to fill in the missing voices according to the rules of proper voice leading. In the example you cite, you need to add the inner voices of the second triad. i.e. they give you four voices to start, and then in the next voicing two voices are missing. You need to add those.

You're still using the notes A,C and E, but you need to decide which notes the alto and tenor voices must be when the bass and soprano voices are the ones the exercise provides.

BTW, to all you chumps out there who think you can get people on YA to actually DO your homework for you, this question shows you the RIGHT way to get help: Admit you're doing homework, show that you're trying to figure it out, and ask for assistance. Don't just paste the question from your test into the forum and expect someone to provide a cut-and-paste answer.

Source(s): music degree