Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 10 years ago

How do I become a computer repair technician without any formal training?

I am looking for an on the job training opportunity because I don't want to go to college for the training. I have built my own computer before, and I am familiar with it. However, my knowledge is average.

I just want to do this to save money for criminology and to turn my hobby into a job.

Favorite Answer

Noting in a computer can be repaired, with todays systems it's a swap out If you want to get into IT then you will need to study operating systems, windows and Mac are not the only operating system in the world, as some seem to think, there is over 100 variations of of Linux, several variations of BSD (Mac) Gentoo Slackware, Solaris just to name a few, First you have to know how to install them, then use them, and program them, head to college and start learning,

Your best option is to take the A+ certification test. I believe you can request a certification test online from certain groups, but I am not sure of this. However, CompTIA's website (http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/a.asp... suggests that you have 500 hours of hands-on experience with computers before taking the test.

You can't become a certified repair technician as far as I know without taking the test, but you might be able to find someone who will hire you regardless.

Sorry if I wasn't much help.

Ask in computer repair shops if they need anyone. You'll take minimal pay (since you won't be able to do much repairing at first) in exchange for an education, and promise of more pay when you become more productive. Keep trying and you should eventually find a job.

• Toby

Not in this economy. I got started in the early 90's because I was the only applicant for a helpdesk job. These days, I'm interviewing former IT executives for helpdesk jobs.

You don't.