What is the root meaning of the word... "Legion?"?

the Greek or the Hebrew or the Latin... would be great thanks...

I am trying to determine the meaning of something... so i thought to ask... thanks..

You are all correct... but still... i would like the definite answer... and that will come... hugs.

No thumbs done by me...

NO thumbs down by me... is what i meant to type... scheesch!!

• bure

Meaning Of The Word Legion

"Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin legion-, legio, from legere to gather — more at legend

First Known Use: 13th century" -- http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/legion?s...

the word 'legion' can be separated into it's root, 'leg', which comes from 'legere', which means to gather, which is also the root of the word 'league'.

It's suffix, -ion, adds the notion of increased largness, and probably originally gave it the the meaning of compounding itself, as in a gathering of gatherings, much in the same way that the sae root gives the word 'million' the meaning of a thousand of thousands.

This word has origins in latin, but according to m-w.com, it wasn't used in its present form in English until the 1200s, so it is probably not the exact same word that would have been used in the original Aramaic which was the predominant language used in Judea during the time of Christ, which was a hodgepodge of Hebrew, Persian, Greek, and Latin.

• Galen

We have all heard of the Roman Legions, as used in the military context. This refers to a military unit consisting of thousands of soldiers. The term legion as used in scripture and by C.S.Lewis can hardly be misconstrued here. I think the roughly thousand years of popular use, followed by the two thousand years of post-empire use should suffice to establish the term legion to mean at the very least a multiple, and properly a multitude of individuals, usually organized as a group of some sorts.

I defer to the above answers for the proper academic reference, with which I am in agreement (won't they be pleased that I agree!!)

Old English = Legioun

Old French = Legion

French = L'egion

Latin = Legio

The first I heard of it was in reference to the Roman Legions. They were set up like the Greeks, by ranks and files, and stood in formation during the attack, or attacked in mass as one entity. Very formal when you consider that most people fought in disarray, like thousands of individual free-for-alls.

Hence, it came to also mean 'many.' And, in the Bible, it is used as the name of a demon, that inhabited one man. Thus, when the demon spoke says his name was Legion, he was saying that the man was plagued by more than one demon, perhaps thousands. And, like STDs, most people who suffer such afflictions have more than one. The term has lived on in English and other languages, thanks to this usage.

In war, the tactics they used came and went. The Templars were the most formal group to use it, and then later, with ranged weapons, it came back until recently. This stupidity should have ended around the time of the American Civil War, but lingered for a while afterward. Today, they simple give one man a full-automatic weapon and expect him to fire as much as an army, and still hit something. ;)

The spiritual significance of "Legion, and I am many," is the futile attempt of evil to be recognized as the inverted infinite reflection of Good, the sum total of human suffering, the attempt to usurp spiritual power and degrade it as an evil form. It is a banquet of mortal thoughts which are self-destructive and self-deluding. The root would be multiple or many in strength.

• seth

The greek word used here, i believe, is : legewn

Pronounc: leg-eh-ohn'

Strong: G3003

Orig: of Latin origin; a "legion", i.e. Roman regiment (figuratively):--legion.

1) a legion, a body of soldiers whose number differed at different times, and in the time of Augustus seems to have consisted of 6826 men (i.e. 6100 foot soldiers, and 726 horsemen)

"And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: FOR WE ARE MANY." Mark 5:9

and again,...

Luke 8:30 And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion: because many devils were entered into him.

Interestingly....Jesus used the exact word also...(G3003 in the Greek just like in the other passages)

BUT...this time it was referring to a good legion (and many more, for it was plural... : )

"Do you think that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me MORE than twelve legions of angels? Matthew 26:53

Perhaps, dear sister, Legions is How God and Jesus keep their angels regimented ?....and since the fallen angels were "regimented" at one time.... the third of these angels are now the devil's angels....which still group up as a Legion ?

I would think that the man possessed with the devil...had a whole legion of devils... as the passage in Luke 8 shows clearer : )

Lots to ponder here... I love how Jesus drove out a whole legion...simply at His Command...and ALSO could at any time call upon the Father to back Him with MORE than Twelve LEGIONS of Holy Warring Angels!

But he didn't...He allowed his flesh to suffer incredibly...YET KNOWING HE HAD AN "OUT" AT ANY TIME.....WOW !!! What Great Love...no man has GREATER than that... to willingly lay down His life for us...and now we are to demonstrate the SAME LOVE and lay down our lives for eachother : )

much love to YOU and all : )

Edit: (((Carey:)))

Source(s): Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1John 3:16

A large number.

ever seen that movie "the exorcism of emily rose?" it's a true story. her body was taken over by 6 demons (Cain, Nero, Judas, Legion, Belial, and Lucifer).

אני הוא ששוכן בתוך קין. (Hebrew)

(Ani hu sheshokhen betokh Cain.)

I am the one who dwelt within Cain!

Ego sum quis habitavit in Nerone. (Latin)

I am the one who inhabited Nero!

Mιά φορά κατοίκησε μέσα σε Ιούδας! (ancient Greek)

(Mia fora katoikese mesa se Ioudas!)

I dwelt within Judas!

Ich [bin] mit Legion. (German)

I am with Legion.

ܐܢܐ ܒܠܝܐܝܠ. (Aramaic)

(Ana Belial.)

I am Belial.

And I am Lucifer, the devil in the flesh.

you should definitely watch it.

(legion)

occurs 3 times in 3 verses in the KJV

Mar 5:9

And he asked him, What [is] thy name? And he answered, saying, My name [is] Legion: for we are many.

Mar 5:15

And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.

Luk 8:30

And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion: because many devils were entered into him.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/Lexico...

) a legion, a body of soldiers whose number differed at different times, and in the time of Augustus seems to have consisted of 6826 men (i.e. 6100 foot soldiers, and 726 horsemen)

"And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels (legion) were cast out with him." (Revelation 12:9)

“I do not know” is not an legion for if we appear as such you are, and a gospel for sure yes but who’s….. I want the ranch but not sell my soul of my Faith…

Word’s can mean many of things and so do not lie….. as it is for what it is will the book or not. We stack our words as order to mean as we want and so free will makes it`s move and so it will be. But I say be free, as you and the Lord and that’s it: and till then we meet as true silent and joy of kind as One new Man.

Language is important I say of love but were is the line were truth of God and love. This I say “I do not know” but this I know were I used to be all sin I am not any more, for were I was blind know I see if He be the heart.

"Do you think that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legion-s of angel-s? Matthew 26:53 (Thanks Seth)

Were we add to legion-s (s) it is the s which stands Ya that’s male image of important to the one in the male to make stand with what had already been dish by the legion. Which it the word legion is a force by one..

For in this Jesus only speaks of a word which be as true to what ever they will shovel his way. For the truth is in Jesus, stand, he knew language of truth as making straight the way and so this was his capabilities but in this versa he down laid his life. No one legion took it and he was not bow as to do or be. But even this it was to the Lords will to do and to the cross for he did the all what Father wills to the cross. And we to also make the same stand…But I need not die but speak truth to all. And so I hope received

Hands a cross the ocean I pray,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwoxBjgRgso

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyt5TTDxHdU

Youtube thumbnail

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201010...

Offering a full line of brazing and soldering alloys in bulk, wire, rod, strip, paste powder forms along with pre-formed shapes such as rings, discs shims. High & low temp brazing fluxes.