Why is simply warming up a bottle of baby formula up in the microwave dangerous?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

I have heard the "hot spot" thing, but I don't understand why someone who heats a bottle in the microwave WOULDN'T shake it before giving it to the baby!? That's common sense...

So, there is nothing wrong with warming in the microwave if you intend on giving it a good shake before giving it to your child.

• 9 years ago

hot spots, so while they are drinking it, it can be fine and then get a hot spot that burns them. I always just warmed the water by itself because it's not as thick than with the formula, but I only warmed it for like 10 seconds and with my microwave it's just a tad under warm which it perfect because I didn't want my kids getting use to a nice warm bottle because it would be too much of a hassle while going out so I just carried a room temp. gallon of water around.

Source(s): Mommy of 2 wonderful boys!!
  • 9 years ago

There are hot spots but there can also be chemical reactions with some plastics when they are heated in the microwave. Honestly it doesn't take much longer to warm the bottle in a cup of hot water.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

You will get hot spots if done improperly. You can do it but make sure the formula isn't mixed first and you only warm the water, microwaves "zap' the nutrients out of the formula and make the nutrients break down thus having no benefit.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I've heard the hot spot thing, but that would be easily resolved by a good shake.

More concerning is the theory that the radiation inside a microwave kills the nutrients in formula.

• dryden
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

sure it is genuine, see excerpt decrease than... Microwave ovens artwork by way of using electromagnetic waves in an alternating cutting-edge. An alternating cutting-edge, in simplified words, is a wave that strikes lower back and forth, the place as a right away cutting-edge strikes forward in a course. The AC cutting-edge motives a extreme volume of friction between the food molecules. The friction makes warmth. ingredients are cooked and heated with this warmth, however the extreme volume of friction damages food cells. supplementations and proteins are often destroyed. maximum infant milks are quite harmed in heating with a microwave. the toddler formula milk loses some supplementations. The skill in the food is decreased. some molecules become cancer agents, increasing the possibility of maximum cancers.

• 9 years ago

The formula can get hot spots. Haven't you ever warmed a plate a food and in some spots the food was warm or cool and some were really hot?

• Andy
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Well,it's only dangerous if the formula gets hot spots in it,if the bottle has the chemical BpA in it's plastic,or if the plastic melts.

• 9 years ago

warming up a bottle in the micro does not heat evenly, it will warm it but there will be hot spots, causing burns to a baby. something i would never do.

Source(s): expecting # 4
  • Delia
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Because there can be hot spots. It also may be too warm. I did it when my oldest was a baby. But now I will be using a warmer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.