Why are so many Americans against gun control?

I understand guns don't kill people, people kill people, but guns make it much easier. You stand a better chance at defending yourself against a knife. Do you think as many mass killings could happen where one or two people kill multiple people, if they didn't have guns? The person is making the choice to... show more I understand guns don't kill people, people kill people, but guns make it much easier. You stand a better chance at defending yourself against a knife. Do you think as many mass killings could happen where one or two people kill multiple people, if they didn't have guns? The person is making the choice to kill, but they are using the gun, an efficient and effective weapon, to do it. If guns were completely banned, yes there would still be guns out there but a lot fewer, and it would be more difficult for people to get them, resulting in less gun violence. And to get the guns that are already out there the government can do just like Chicago did, and do a period of offering cash for people to turn in guns. The majority of gun related crimes, involve guns that were at one time or another licensed. If there were no more licensed guns, it would be way harder for people to get them. Many people buy guns illegally on the street, but that gun got out on the street somehow. At one point in time that weapon probably was purchased legally. We need to make it so there is no longer a way to purchase a weapon legally. There is no need for citizens to have guns. It is not a means of defense. Cases where people actually successfully defend themselves from a crime with a gun, is so few compared to ones who don't, makes it a joke to call it a means of defense. And guns don't deter criminals from going after people. How many of you actually believe that a rapist would even think twice about whether a woman is carrying a gun before he decides to grab her? If you are afraid of a burglar breaking into your house, use the gun money to get an alarm system. The sound of it going off alone may send the criminal running, mine has and I don't even have it activated to contact the police. As for using guns for sport, what is the purpose of going around and shooting innocent animals for fun? And people in favor of allowing concealed carry just leave me speechless. Just think about the number of people who get killed involving things like road rage. Don't you think a death is much more likely to occur if people are legally allowed to carry guns with them? And all the arguments people get into, spouses caught cheating, if people are just packing guns they are way more likely to pull it out and hurt someone. And people are always saying the constitution says we have the right to keep and bear arms. The constitution was written at a time when things were a lot different. Come on people, at the time it was legal to own another person and beat them like they were an animal. Amendments can be repealed, especially if it is for the greater good like saving lives. So, many laws in this country have been changed. Why? Because society changes over time. At one time segregation, slavery, and discriminating against women were all legal and now their not. What would this country be like now, if everyone just kept saying I can keep making black people sit at the back of the bus because the law says it's okay? Sometimes laws need to be looked at again, just as the second amendment does. The constitution is supposed to protect us. Allowing people to walk around carrying guns is not protection.
7 answers 7