Do African Americans feel like being black makes it impossible to lead a productive life?

I ask because i was tutoring a young black girl and she was writing an essay about race. In part of her essay she said (and i'm paraphrasing here) that being black prevents you from having a decent life and getting a job and stuff. There was no example to support this claim - as an essay should have when making a claim - and i suggested she provide an example as the professors will usually require examples to substantiate any claim. She was kind of stumped and didn't really have an answer and i didn't want to put words in her mouth so i moved on. But, she really needed to provide a concrete example in order to provide a logical, cohesive essay.

So, my question is, i see black people working in jobs wherever i go; cops, dentists, lawyer, clerks etc so black people do have jobs! - so when a young girl thinks that he color will rule out work life for her - where is she getting this info? Also, why could she not provide a specific example? If one were to suggest that saving money is beneficial, one would provide reasons or examples of the benefits, whereas if one had no example the assumption would be that there is no reason and hence, its a false argument.

I would appreciate ONLY intelligent answer and NO trolling or racist rants. I ask this question to be able to approach this issue of needing evidence to support an argument in an academic context especially with touchy subjects such as race.

thank you

I thought it was especially sad because she was such a lovely girl and yet she had the idea that just being black will prevent her from having a decent life and it KNOW (even though im not black) that this isn't true. Yeah, racism might pose problems, but i doens't rule you out for having a decent life, right?

Favorite Answer

where do i start...

Being Black does not prevent you from being things (anymore). Just like being poor doesn't prevent you from becoming a millionaire in the future, but their are easier ways to start off. The statistics show that minorities face barriers that others may not (not to say that these barriers are insurmountable). Here are a few examples: In Florida, affirmative action is against the law in universities. So there is no advantage to being black when applying (although people still believe that...). But, students get preferential treatment for being the child or grandchild of an alumni. At my particular school, UF, Blacks were not fairly admitted until very late (late 60s, early 70s). This means that my parents and especially my grandparents could not have possibly been an alumni, but this is not the case for many White students who benefit from this rule. Another example is the fact that people tend to be more at ease with people of the same race then with others, especially if they haven't spent significant time around that group. And it is also a fact that owners of big businesses are most likely to be White males. So White people can (not always) have an advantage during things like interviews because the hiring manager (if he/she is White) may feel like the interviewee is just a nice person, or reminds him/her of someone in their family, of was in the same frat/sorority they were in (which are still very segregated). Another instance is just with education in general. If your parents graduated from college, you are more likely to do so. But many Blacks in my parents generation were denied access to public universities for no other reason then being Black, so where does this leave their children today? So while people are not running around saying I hate the Blacks, there are some barriers and the effects of past barriers that still remain in some places and for some people. All Blacks don't feel this the same way (poor people more so then rich) and some don't feel them at all. Personally, I don't focus on barriers, I focus on goals. I feel like I've written an essay already, but I'd be more then happy to provide more examples if you need them. And I appreciate you asking a racial question, in a non-racist way.

Source(s): Sociology major, African American Studies minor

Some think that and some don't... Once again it depends on the indivisual. As for her maybe she was taught that, or with the lifestyle & the environment she was raised in that's what she had saw.

Her reason for not having support, well its an essay. Writing isn't easy for everyone. I know when I write essays for school I some times have a hard time coming up with supporting details.

-All you had to do was tell her to give details and provide examples for her topic & claim. That's all.

• OGUN

Excellent question. What you have witnessed is the self esteem issues in many African American girls caused by first identity crisis and second by the pressure of live up to a European standard of beauty.

Below is an example of the doll test..I think that says it all..

I believe that she may have overheard someone say that. I don't think she has a valid reason for making a statement such as that. So she is unable to elaborate.

i dont think skin color has anything to do with somebody being able to live a productive life or not thats just plain stupidity

she might be from a poverty stricken area in the cuts so her view of black males isn't to work and provide for their families.

• .

Sounds like a personal issue...really...

suggest she has a vacation in africa (any country south of the sahara) she will see africans in their indigenous environment and realize how well off african americans are

• .

no i don't think that way. i believe if i thought that way then i wouldn't be productive.

NO THEY USE THAT AS ONE OF THEIR INFINITE EXCUSES SO THEY DON'T HAVE TO GET JOBS!

VIVA MEXICO I PICK PRODUCE AND P!SS ON IT AT LEAST I HAVE A JOB VIVA MEXICO