KNABS asked in TravelCruise Travel · 1 decade ago

Do you need a passport to take a cruise if your departure and return are in the same spot?

6 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    We strongly recommend that all guest travel with a valid Passport.

    Closed-Loop Sailings:

    Only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit:

    U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the U.S. with a valid passport book, U.S. Passport Card, U.S. or Enhanced Driver's License, or Trusted Traveler Program Card such as a Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card. In the absence of any of the documents listed above, guests will be required to present BOTH an identification and citizenship document from each of the lists below in order to embark our vessel. The name on both documents needs to match the name on the cruise line reservation. If it does not as a result of marriage or divorce, guests will need to provide their state, county or province issued marriage license or divorce decree. Guests who legally change their name will need to present a court document.

    Closed-Loop Identification Documents

    * Laminated driver's license or identification card issued by federal, state, provincial, country, territory or municipal authority

    * All identification documents must have a photo, name and date of birth

    Closed-Loop Citizenship Documents

    Government issued:

    * U.S. Birth Certificate (original)

    * U.S. Birth Abroad Certificate (original)

    * U.S. Naturalization Certificate (original)

    * U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (original)

  • Woosie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    If you are going to visit more than one country then the preferred choice of ID is always normally a valid passport Unless you are a US citizen cruising around America only. I would suggest you take a passport just in case something unexpected happens, Port of calls changed etc and you want to get off?

  • 1 decade ago

    No you don't, but I highly recommend getting one. The government can change travel documentation requirements at any time, so better be safe than sorry.

  • 1 decade ago

    If you are a US citizen and your ship departs from and returns to the same US port, no.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Yes, you will need a passport. I was watching a documentary about Oasis of the Seas yesterday and they had a whole 10 minutes about people who didn't bring their passports and couldn't have them mailed in time, so they were denied passage. Call the cuise line though, I'm not sure if it isn't stopping in any other countries.

  • 1 decade ago

    no, but if you get sick on board and need to fly home you will not be able to.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.