Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 9 years ago

Is it possible to play college football without high school experience?

My biggest regret after I graduated high school was never playing football. During my high school senior year, I found out I really loved the sport and grew a lot of knowledge for football in general. I was wondering if I could possibly play in college, even if I'm only on a D-3 team? Also, what would be a good weight, bench ect.? I work out regularly at a gym. I'm currently a freshman at a community college that doesn't have a football program, but the 4 year schools I'm looking to transfer to all have football programs.

• Hawk M
    Best Answer

unless you have MAJOR speed and natural talent, no

all the other players have been doing this for years, and its the coaches job to put the best team on the field that he can

he doesn't have the time to teach you ll the basics that you should have learned in high school

I'm going through the same problem. It's tough to make it with out any experience. It really doesn't matter how much you bench. College football teams look for speed and athletism. A good weight is low to mid 200's. Try out for sure! Here is some motivation- my cousin just tried out for BYU, he didn't even know how to strap on his helmet but played his best. He made the team without having any experience in high school. Good luck!

• Donna

Chances are, no. College football is BIG busness and rakes in a lot of cash every year for the college. Because of this they want to make sure they're getting players who are going to win, therby increasing the fans and the profits. So letting someone with virtually no football experience on a college level football field would not only be a bad move on their part but probobly dangerous to you because of your tremendous lack of experience. I would stick with the smart person school, unless you want to be a pro football player the smarts will get you a lot farther in life.

Possible? Yes. Likely? No. Several reasons. If you've never played you will be surprised at how fast things happen on the field. The TV can't show this accurately. You likely will not be given the chance. Why would a coach at any level risk his job / waste his time on such an unknown quantity?

im in the same boat, only i did play a little HS football, but was 2nd string cuz my coach picked favorites. When i was in, i avg. 5 tackles per game (DT), i hate to sound conceited, but i was good. but since graduation, i got outta shape. imma get back in shape and tryout for a decent Div. 2 school (like UVA Wise) and go from there. that would be your best bet. find a Div.. 2 school, tryout, and see where it goes. A guy i went to school wit Brandon Anderson played for a Div.2 school and was drafted to the Tampa Bay Bucs, but was later cut.... GOOD LUCK and maybe ill see u on the field!

Source(s): personal research
  • ?

Leo Nomellini had to work whle in high school, and did not play football. Here is the summary from

profootballhof.com:

Leo Joseph Nomellini

Defensive Tackle >>> 6-3, 259

(Minnesota)

1950-1963 San Francisco 49ers

Two-time Minnesota All-America. . . 49ers' first-ever NFL draft choice, 1950. . .Played every 49ers game for 14 seasons, 174 regular-season and 266 pro games in all. . .Excellent defensive pass rusher, bulldozing offensive blocker. . .All-NFL six times, two years on offense, four years on defense. . .Named NFL's all-time defensive tackle. . . Played in 10 Pro Bowl games. .

Does that answer your question?

Sarge

D3 maybe but the lack of football experience is going to hurt you a"lot. you most likely will have to sit out the first 2 seasons until you learn the basics. but there always a chance in D3. you can also try a NAIA school. look it up

just remember you're going to be screwed if you get a crappy degree from a crappy school. whether you play d3 football or not you'll still be working at target when you get out. make sure you get a real degree.

Yeah but it's going to way tougher

If you are 6'4 300 pounder that runs a 4.7 40, yes. A 5'10 guy that runs a 4.6 and can bench 280, no.