Is Halloween Un-Christian?

First off, I'm an non-believer but I did grow up Catholic. I don't know if that matters but I do have some background in religion. Anyways..

My aunt & uncle are Christian ministers and they don't let their children participate in Halloween. My cousin is a typical 10-year-old and she wants to go the haunted corn maze by my house (dubbed "the fear farm") here in Avondale, AZ. Obviously my request to take her was denied and I would like some insight to understand why this occurred.

I understand Halloween was originally a pagan holiday where-in people would don scary masks and such to scare away the evil spirits still stuck here on Earth. Today, it is a time where kids go trick-or-treating, watch scary movies, and visit haunted attractions like the one I've mentioned a-fore. I would understand how sacrificing animals and pulling out ouija boards is considered un-christian, but it's not like this girl actually believes zombies have/can actually rise from the dead..

Can some religious people quote me some scripture that says it's unchristian to participate in Halloween? I think it should also be mentioned that they celebrate Christmas and had us believing in Santa Claus when we were little (a false idol!!!).

Favorite Answer

Yes. It started with the Celts, not the Romans. The Roman Christian church just added new names to an old holiday. The Celts celebrated the dead, wore animal skins and mask to confuse the dead who were allowed to walk the earth during this time, ask the dead for information concerning the future, and offered sacrifices to their gods and goddesses.

Deuteronomy 18:9-13 says, "When you arrive in the land the LORD your God is giving you, be very careful not to imitate the detestable customs of the nations living there. For example, never sacrifice your son or daughter as a burnt offering. And do not let your people practice fortune-telling or sorcery, or allow them to interpret omens, or engage in witchcraft, or cast spells, or function as mediums or psychics, or call forth the spirits of the dead. Anyone who does these things is an object of horror and disgust to the LORD. It is because the other nations have done these things that the LORD your God will drive them out ahead of you. You must be blameless before the LORD your God."

Modern Halloween still promotes the devil and all of those things mentioned in scripture. Even if a Christian is not partaking in those particular activities, they are still a huge part of this holiday. Therefore, it should not be celebrated in any way. Nor should an alternative be given for children because it teaches children that they are missing out on something when they are not. It breeds a generation of compromising Christians who say there is nothing wrong with celebrating Halloween.

The scriptures tell us that we are not to be like the world. Besides children eat candy all year long and go to parties also.

As far as Christmas goes it shouldn't be celebrated either. Jesus was not born December 25. It was a holiday of a pagan god and once again the Roman Church needed to put a new name on it to appease everyone.

The Bible says, "Hear the word ADONAI speaks to you, house of Isra'el! Here is what ADONAI says: "Don't learn the way of the Goyim, don't be frightened by astrological signs, even if the Goyim are afraid of them; for the customs of the peoples are nothing. They cut down a tree in the forest; a craftsman works it with his axe; they deck it with silver and gold. They fix it with hammer and nails, so that it won't move. Like a scarecrow in a cucumber patch, it cannot speak. It has to be carried, because it cannot walk. Do not be afraid of it it can do nothing bad; likewise it is unable to do anything good!" (Jer. 10:1-5 CJB)

This is said because a tree was used in the worship of Astoreth, a goddess. A lot of the symbols used at this time can be attributed to worshipping her. As for modern times all you have to do is listen to the songs "Oh, Christmas Tree" "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and others. It involves the worship of a tree and a man who has god-like powers.

This is the short version of why you shouldn't celebrate either holidays or holy days I should say.

hahaha. oh lord. well, first of all, halloween is not unchristian at all. it did not only originate from a pagan new years, but also from a catholic holiday. nov. 1st (the day after halloween) is all saints day. as a celebration of all souls still in purgatory (a catholic thing) we had all hallow's eve before it. the two merged when celtics came to america and they made what is now pretty much just a commercial holiday, halloween. halloween is not wicked or evil or unholy or anything. and also, believing in the occult or spirits or anything isn't unchristian either. atleast i know catholics recognize that all of this exists, we just refuse to take part in it.

the thing is, since protestants (which i think your aunt or uncle might be?) don't really have the all saint's day or purgatory thing, sometimes they'll assume its all pagan. nothing against them, i'm pretty sure its just lack of knowledge about it. i even heard a girl say she wasn't allowed to celebrate halloween since it was the devil's birthday...

anyways. modern day halloween isn't wicked at all. trick or treating is just an old tradition for little kids, and a fun way to celebrate. it's all just commercial now, anyways.

and lastly, believing in santa clause isn't a false idol... a false idol is worshiping false gods. (; and st. nicholas was an actual person in the bible... haha.

Source(s): proof: http://www.history.com/topics/halloween http://wilstar.com/holidays/hallown.htm http://www.halloween.com/christian-halloween.php http://www.jeremiahproject.com/culture/halloween.h... and theres much more. just look up "history" or "origin" of halloween on google and read through the pages. feel free to show this to your aunt and uncle (:

I'm Catholic yet I celebrate Halloween.

I thought that Halloween meant "Hallow's Eve" or "holy eve/evening". I have a friend who is a Seven Day Adventist. They believe that Halloween is a satanic holiday.

The whole point of Halloween is to scare away demons and the devil.

I'm not saying I think it's right that your relatives don't let their children participate in Halloween, but the holiday has gotten a bit...gruesome with all of the bloody limbs and screaming soundtracks. The gory props although sometimes humorous have gotten a bit too realistic for my taste. I personally like the cute inflatable pumpkins and jack o lanterns and the orange lights. Maybe your relatives don't want their children being exposed to gruesome depictions or getting scared. I got frightened once on Halloween and it upset me for a little while.

...Santa's a false idol? LOL I thought he just gave me presents and was a kind old soul. I've never worshiped the guy. Sheesh.

Anyways, Have a Happy Halloween :D

Hallowe'en was originally part of the Catholic festival of All Saints Day. It was the name given to the Eve, the evening before it, All Hallows (Saints) Evening, Hallowe'en. It was when the festival started with a vigil - bonfires, processions and so on.

The protestant reformers in the UK did not approve of respecting Saints so they banned the festival. Church recognition stopped. People who carried on with their celebrations were attacked as devil worshippers or pagan (just propaganda really). Puritans were particularly against it and everything Catholic. They brought these ideas with them to the USA so in the USA Hallowe'en has been regarded as something bad - and, of course, something bad is a much an excuse for a party as something good, particularly if it annoys your priggish puritan neighbours.

In the 19th century, some misguided folklorists started looking for the origins of the customs but, being from a protestant culture, ignored the Catholic roots and instead invented a whole lot of nonsense about supposed ancient pagan festivals. All complete garbage but now a popular urban myth.

That is why many Christians in the USA think Hallowe'en is un-Christian - of course much of what goes on is, after hundreds of years of separation, no longer much to do with the Christian original. Sadly. You need to visit a Catholic country in Latin America or Europe to experience something like the original (not Ireland. That was ruled by the Protestant British for too long, and they love tall stories).

More like it's just non-Christian; it's got no particular connection to Christianity, but then again Xmas Day is basically a Pagan festival too. I don't know what the Bible might say about it.

I think it depends how you treat Halloween; a lot of parents seem quite oblivious to their pre-teenage children spending the day watching slasher/torture movies and then running around the streets at 11pm wearing Scream masks, that I think is just plain willful negligence on the part of the parents. But for kids to watch old horror classic B-movies from the 50's or G-13 (maybe an R rated) movies and stay up late with adult supervision is okay.

Yes, and no.

1 Nov is All Saints Day, also known as All Hallows Day. As in the Jewish tradition, the day begins at sundown, "All Hallows Eve" "All Hallos e'en" - Halloween begins at sundown Oct 31st.

There are many Christian traditions around All Saints Day. In some places, ancestors are remembered and revered - often by putting flowers or little sweet treats on graves. In my church, we are writing names of people departed whom we wish to remember, and we will have a celebration of these this coming Sunday. I have seen this sort of thing done in several churches.

There is also a pagan idea that this time of year sees a "thinning" of the boundary between the Spiritual and Corporeal worlds. Some Christians ascribe to this as well, and the Scots, for example, would carve scary faces in turnips to keep evil away. I have seen this in Canada, although most people carve pumpkins here now - the Jack o' Lanterns.

In the trick-or-treating, a mix of Christian and pagan ideas can be found - much like some Christmas, and Easter traditions. So, it is both Christian and pagan in it's roots, but kids running around in costume, begging for candy is really neither. It is more of a cultural thing - with religious roots way, way back, but now not religious at all. Much like Christmas stockings, and chocolate Easter Eggs.

It definitely has Christian roots. If you look at Germany - especially the catholic areas, it's a big fest where everybody has disguising costumes and revels, debauches and drinks etc. It is called "Fastnacht". There are many parties and sexual excesses. It is a well known fact there that nine month after the festivities are over, the birthrate goes way up. Have lived there.... I copied this for you:

An old tradition in Southern Germany, carnival is the time of the year when the reign of bad spirits of the cold and grim winter period is over and these spirits are symbolically being hunted down and expelled. By the end of winter, each year around January and February, people dress up as demons, witches, earthly spirits and dreadful animals to enact this scene of symbolic expulsion. What happens in fact is an expulsion of the winter season that symbolises death, silence and destruction (just look at what happens to plants in a cold winter and you get the image). So before spring can come and the perennial cycle of life can start over again, old forms have to be destroyed for new ones to come into existence. The notions 'carnival' (carne = meat) or 'fastnacht' (= at the wake of Lent) also refer to the beginning of the Christian tradition of the 40 day-long fasting (or Lenting) season. Whereas during carnival, people go mad, chaos rules, hierarchies are overthrown and one indulges in food and drinks, the fasting season marks an end of this. Remembering the suffering and death of Jesus, many Christians abstain from meat, alcohol, sweets and festivities until Easter, the resurrection of Jesus. All these rituals are telling stories of death, chaos, life-cycles and resurrection.

Carnival — this combination of pagan beliefs and Christian traditions — can thus be interpreted as the symbolic preparation for a new annual cycle.

Well it's sort of Pagan so it must be un-Christian. But who says the christians are right.