Did you know the person who wrote Amazing Grace was a former Slave trader?

His name is John Newton.Published in 1779. With a message that forgiveness and redemption are possible regardless of the sins people commit and that the soul can be delivered from despair through the mercy of God

I like this version myself. In fact the last verse was found years later in John's notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghZfnQxUhzQ

Youtube thumbnail

&p=BF974539EDE45464&playnext=1&index=2

• H S
    Favorite Answer

He was also a supporter of William Wilberforce, who led the campaign in Britain against the slave trade, and whose campaign was driven by his Christian beliefs. Something the apologists of militant atheism like to overlook.

Leonard ... "no Christian motives against slavery EXIST" ... what would actually constitute evidence for you that Christian motives against slavery could exist?

It would be reasonable to say that Wilberforce had Christian motives and also humane motives - he would not have seen them as in any way opposed - but to suggest that Christian motives don't actually exist seems bizarrely counterfactual.

In his first abolitionist speech in Parliament, Wilberforce said, 'There is a principle above everything that is political. And when I reflect on the command that says, "Thou shalt do no murder," believing the authority to be divine, how can I dare set up any reasonings of my own against it? And, Sir, when we think of eternity, and of the future consequences of all human conduct, what is there in this life which should make any man contradict the principles of his own conscience, the principles of justice, the laws of religion, and of God?'

In his view it was against Jesus' teaching (specifically the 'do onto others as you would have them do to you' bit) to coerce anyone into slavery. Clearly at least Wilberforce himself believed he had Christian motives. The contrast with a broadly contemporary secularist like Jefferson is stark.

A former slave trader. Actually about 40 years after he retired from seafareing. Also, the song wasnt nessessarily related to his experiences at sea, or in the slave trade. There was movie that came out this past year about John Newtons life. I havent seen it, but it looks good.

What sins did he commit?

Keeping slaves is not a sin according to the Bible... it has detailed instructions on how to treat your slaves. Even Jesus never spoke out against slavery.

Seems like a pretty glaring omission, doesn't it?

"He was also a supporter of William Wilberforce, who led the campaign in Britain against the slave trade, and whose campaign was driven by his Christian beliefs. Something the apologists of militant atheism like to overlook."

We don't overlook it, it is patently untrue. It is not possible to oppose slavery out of Christian motives since no Christian motives against slavery EXIST. The man opposed slavery out of HUMANE motives, and more power to him.

• BAMN!

He convinced William Wilberforce to abolish the slave trade.

• ?

It Just shows everyone hoe GOD works in His Mysterious ways. John Newton was also a card carrying Atheist.

God Bless Ya,

Chicago Bob

imasinner

There is more joy in Jesus in one day.

Than there is in the World 365/24/7

I know, I tried them both.

Source(s): GOD!

Did you know Ace of Base sang "the Sign?"

No, but I heard that the "wedding march" was composed by a favorite of the Nazis.

did not know that

very interesting tid bit

Source(s): ((peace))

Theres no way!!! wow. my pet parrot can sing that :/