Africa after 1945 HELPP?
A.Ethiopia, Liberia B.Ethiopia, South Africa
C.Liberia, Ghana D.Nigeria, South Africa
2. Which of the following statements about the European colonial powers is correct?
A.They were careful not to divide ethnic and cultural groups. B.They believed in a democratic rule. C.They ruled by force and oppression. D.They had the consent of the people being governed.
3. "Nation-state" is the idea that _____.
A. everyone in the state shares the same language B. everyone who shares the same language and culture should be united under one government
C. everyone in the state shares the same culture D. All of the answers are correct.
4. Which answer is NOT a problem faced by multi-ethnic countries in Africa after independence?
A. Ethnic disputes B. Inadequate natural resources
C. Religious disputes D. Language barriers
5. The British used a practice called _____ in which they managed African colonies through local African leaders.
A. indirect rule B. direct rule
C. traditional rule D. colonialism
6. The African elite, hand-picked by the European powers to help rule the colonies, were divided from the other local Africans by ________
A. age groups B. wealth
C. ethnicity and wealth D.No answer is correct.
7. Which of these answers is NOT a factor that led to decolonization movements in Africa?
A. Urbanization B.Greed
C. Education D. Pan-Africanism
8. What was the main problem for independence movements in Africa?
A. Lack of national identity B. Fear of the colonialists
C. Apathy D. No answer is correct.
9. African leaders were encouraged to seek their own independence based on the example of the independence movement in _____.
A.Liberia B. Vietnam
C. India D. China
10. Why did Africans not fight for independence from the colonial powers before the 1940s?
A. After years of oppression at the hands of the Europeans, many Africans thought the Europeans were invincible. B. They did not have the necessary training, weapons, or ammunition.
C.They preferred colonial rule to self rule. D. Colonial rule was far more fiar and humane earlier.
11. All of the following are results of colonialism on Africa's economy EXCEPT _____.
A. poor infrastructure B. diversified economies
C. mono-crop and/or mono-mineral economies D. unpredictable economies
12. The mono-crop or mono-mineral economy of many African colonies and former colonies results in _____.
A. an unpredictable economy B. a decrease in food production in favor of creating a single raw material
C. famine and starvation D. All of the answers are correct.
13. The African nation of Nigeria can be found _____.
A. on the east coast of Africa B. in southern Africa
C. in western Africa D. in central Africa
14. Freedom from British colonial rule was granted much more willingly to Nigeria because _____.
A. Nigeria paid the full ransom price Britain demanded in exchange for its freedom B. the British had lost interest in the colony after depleting all its natural resources C. there were relatively fewer European settlers living there D. All of the answers are correct.
15. Which is NOT a problem Nigeria has faced post-independence?
A. Corrupt government officials B.Increased disputes between the Muslims in the North and the Christians in the South C. Depletion of its oil reserves D. Political unrest as members of the various ethnic groups jostle for political control
16. Which of the following contributed to Nigeria's win over Biafra in the 1970 Biafran War?
A. Biafra did not have enough agriculture to feed itself. B. The Soviet Union and Britain armed and supported the central Nigerian government in the war.
C. The blockades and sanctions imposed by Nigeria during the war resulted in millions of Biafrans dying from starvation. D. All of the answers are correct.
17. Which of these adjectives best describe the Congo's attainment of independence from Belgium in 1960?
A. Quick and easy B. Bloody and chaotic
C. Peaceful and uneventful D. No answer is correct.
18. Who was the first elected prime minister of the Congo?
A. Olusegun Obasanjo B. Patrice Lumumba
C. Jerry John Rawlings D. Mobutu Sese Seko