? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 decade ago

Do you consider "Sage" to be such a strange name?

I was looking at a list of "weird names celebrities have given their children" and on that list was Sylvester Stallone's son, Sage Moonblood. "Moonblood" sounds unique and might raise questions, but I personally like the sound of Sage; although, to me it sounds more feminine than masculine--like it should be a girl's name instead. I guess I like one-syllable names for girls, like Joan or Grace. They seem elegant to me.

Favorite Answer

My only qualm with Sage is the idea of saddling your child with qualities he or she may not decide to espouse. While sage can denote the seasoning, it can also denote wisdom, and frankly I don't think I would name a baby "wise one" - I think I would let her come into that on her own, if that were where she were headed. I'm a little nitpicky about virtue names, though. :P

• I actually know a little boy named Sage, so I automatically think boy when I hear it, but I could definitely see it on a girl as well! It's a really pretty name!

• sunny

To me it sounds like a guys name because the only person I have known with it was a guy. He was very popular from elementary through high school so I don't think anyone thought his name was strange. It was unique but cool and not weird.

• I really like the name Sage, it's unusual but not strange if you know what I mean.

sage is different,i think it will be more popular in years to come..my nephews name is cage :)

• I don't think it's too strange at all, it's quite pretty for a girl

I like that. You are right about it sounding more feminine.

• Jenx

I find it odd, it's the name of a herb!