Why does American society condemn the use of marijuana?

I do not understand why our culture demoralizes anyone who uses cannabis for recreational, spiritual, or medicinal purposes but does not consider alcohol and tobacco (which cause deaths daily) harmful enough to make illegal. If anything, every psychoactive substance should be legal and used with high discretion. Isn't it a moral and American freedom to put whatever you want into your body? Only the actions made while on a substance should be scrutinized by law, and not the substances themselves.

So what I'm really asking is: Why does our society make such an effort to stop the use of cannabis? Why do they care? How does cannabis actually harm anyone, anything, or society? I do not understand. Do you?

Favorite Answer

It isn't just the US Honey...

It is that Hemp is competition for the textile barons, a threat to pharmaceutical companies, and, though no one wants to hear it, profoundly addictive to a very small minority of people.

I recommend googling the following:

National Geographic Channel "Drugs, Inc."

The History Channel "Hooked: Illegal Drugs & How They Got That Way."

BBC Horizon "Cannabis: The evil weed?"

BBC "Should I Smoke Dope?"

BBC "Is Alcohol more dangerous that Ecstasy?"

"Grass: The History Of Marijuana."

"Penn & Teller The War On Drugs"

BBC "If... Drugs were legal."

BBC "If... Drugs were legal. The 'if' debate".

I have a dozen more docs you should watch... I'll edit as I remember them.

It really is worth watching them all. The more you learn, the better you can argue against those that use propaganda and fear-mongering to try and control.

The war on drugs is WAYYYYY more out of hand than the actual drug itself.

I've been drunk, I've been high. But let me just say I was WAY more dangerous of a person to myself and people around me when i'm drunk. Alcohol affects you x4380529547 times more than weed. Weed has been illegal for over 70 years and still hasn't gone anywhere, So why not just legalize it.

Alcohol you stumble, puke, horrible judgement, slur in your own speech, have horrible hangovers in the morning.

Weed....you have you space out, makes your couch feel better, and it makes food taste better.

Simple as that

• chubb

by way of fact people p.c. out men as manly. And that being emotionally expressive is a demonstration of weak spot. this is an tremendously unhappy element by way of fact we are raised to to be heartless and chilly. men would desire to maintain up this macho photograph which impacts the way they interpret how people sense. this is the rationalization why women oftentimes sense like they have not have been given any emotional connection to their boyfriend or husband after a protracted quantity of time. nevertheless in this new society which will start to flourish with-interior the subsequent 20-30 years it is going to likely be much less of a controversy. With thoughts and personalities transforming into greater unisex.

I too, wish it were not this way, but marijuana often leads to other unnatural, man made drugs that the world is highly exposed to now day. Cocaine, heroin, meth, etc.

Also, kills brain cells and such, which probably isn't great for people in school/college.

Even so, marijuana isn't as bad as they try to tell us it is. Truthfully, it's not nearly as bad as the big tobacco products out there. It doesn't make sense to me.

• JayJay

I hate marijuana. But I don't hate it for what it does to people who smoke it because I don't care about people who don't care for themselves. I hate when it harms OTHERS(and the enviornment) who don't want to have anything to do with that crap-smelling junk. Plus if people are high on that stuff they can probably wind up killing an innocent person or doing something else stupid.

Who isn't stupid when their mind is going "ZIP PE DE DOO DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AHAHAHHA DFHWUHFEUIHFEG!!" ?

They're f*cking idiots. I really can't stand all these anti-marijuana lobbyists. It's incredibly asinine.

• I don't understand it either.

it all boils down to one word - IGNORANCE!!

Source(s): COMMON SINCE