Could you live on $20,000 a year?

I'm thankful to have a job but I'm really getting screwed where I'm working right now.... I'm working for a State Farm agent making $11 an hour. I have my property and casualty licenses and I am also S.F. bank certified. I answer the phones, handle service work, basic admin./office manager duties,... show more I'm thankful to have a job but I'm really getting screwed where I'm working right now....
I'm working for a State Farm agent making $11 an hour. I have my property and casualty licenses and I am also S.F. bank certified. I answer the phones, handle service work, basic admin./office manager duties, as well as sales of home and auto policies. I'm barely making $20,000. If I were to actually use my medical allowance for health insurance, I would be taking home even less!!

I feel like I am underpaid. I keep hearing about others in my same position getting paid significantly more. I'm living near Charlotte, NC too so I'm not in the back woods of BFE somewhere. I have asked for a raise but really don't think it is going to happen because some excuse always pops up. I've been here for over a year and a half with no increase. I feel bad asking for money or making anyone "uncomfortable" but I feel like I am getting screwed. It is a small office, as in under 4 people and I do a bulk of the work....

Do you think I am being paid fairly? What should I do?