Could you live on $20,000 a year?

I'm thankful to have a job but I'm really getting screwed where I'm working right now....

I'm working for a State Farm agent making $11 an hour. I have my property and casualty licenses and I am also S.F. bank certified. I answer the phones, handle service work, basic admin./office manager duties, as well as sales of home and auto policies. I'm barely making $20,000. If I were to actually use my medical allowance for health insurance, I would be taking home even less!!

I feel like I am underpaid. I keep hearing about others in my same position getting paid significantly more. I'm living near Charlotte, NC too so I'm not in the back woods of BFE somewhere. I have asked for a raise but really don't think it is going to happen because some excuse always pops up. I've been here for over a year and a half with no increase. I feel bad asking for money or making anyone "uncomfortable" but I feel like I am getting screwed. It is a small office, as in under 4 people and I do a bulk of the work....

Do you think I am being paid fairly? What should I do?

Favorite Answer

I live off Social Security Disability and draw a good check, I always had high paying jobs

I live on less than 20K, but have subsidized housing and get $17.00 a month in food stamps.

YOU have good credentials and should be able to make more elsewhere.

I worked a few years in the insurance industry in the late 80's. Get out of an agents office, they have always been cheap. Get into a companies owned agency or home office. With a P&C lic you can underwrite.

Good Luck

What should you do?

Get on your knees and thank God you have a job, and a roof, and your health.

I'm one of those people living in the back woods of BFE supporting two of us on about half what you make, and there's nothing missing, I have a job and a roof and my health. What more is really needed?

You can always look for another job where they may appreciate you more if you're truly unhappy.

I would LOVE to make 11 bucks an hour.

<edit>

@ Iffy

I'd like to know what state pays welfare that good, lemme quit and move there.

no your not.. if you work at in n out starting pay is 10.25 so yeah maybe its because the people who do the same stuff get paid more because they got higher degrees than you but i cant live off 20000 a year youd be living paycheck to paycheck

Yes....you are underpaid....your raises depend on what that office makes...consider the things it takes to run the office....you need to take your license and get into a bigger environment...a call center or as someone else suggested...the home office...the good thing is...you are licensed...so your options are great...good luck!!!

You can live on that easily if you move to SC and commute to work. SC is a lot less expensive to live in.

• ?

I made 28k back in 1980 you are working for less then welfare pays

life in the worldwide began approximately 10 THOUSAND YEARS in the past. WHOEVER BELIEVED IN GOD AND HIS MASSENGER AT THEIR TIME WILL circulate to HEAVEN THOS WHO REVOLTED against GOD.OR TOOK HIS MASSENGER TO something ELSE WILL circulate IN HELL.

no lol