Dan H

Do you think the theme of Bach's Musical Offering sounds like a sixties detective series theme?

Probably starring Patrick MacNee?

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear.

I've no *specific* sixties tv series in mind. I'm asking if you think it *could* be.

I can assure you, what I'm smoking isn't anything you'd grow in Mexico.

suhwahaksaeng thanks for the answer. The theme was given to Bach by Frederick II and supposedly may come from a composition by Handel. It's mainly the theme I'm talking about, as it would be hard to imagine Bach's treatment of it, played on period instruments, being used as performed.

Favorite Answer

I don't know the Sixties detective series theme,

but my brother-in-law always corrects me if I say that composition A sounds like composition B if composition B was written earlier.

He insists that I say that composition B sounds like composition A.

I could see why the Musical Offering would make a good detective theme, however.

It's in a minor mode and has a half-step progression.

According to Schweitzer, the theme was not written by Bach, but by the nobleman who commissioned the composition.

Really? I have to say.... dude, what are you smokin'?

I don't know what detective series you have been watching, but it sure as heck isn't "Dragnet" or "77 Sunset Strip."

Patrick MacNee was in "The Avengers" which wasn't a detective series (more Spy-Fi) and the music was more jazz oriented in that.

I'd love to know why you think this.