Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How many report cases of Child Abuse was reported among the alter boys and Priests?

I am a very proud Catholic but I don't know exactly the details of the allegations

Just the media hype and ppl on here.

I do know some stories were hoax.

I know that The Catholic Church donated millions of dollars to the victims to seek medical help and therapy.

But I don't know where, when and how:

-What contries

-When

-how many

-what exactly were the alligations

If someone can supply me with mature answers I would aappreciate it.

Update:

I am not saying that this is not absolutly terrible and tragic... because it is!

I hear too much of ppl saying Catholic Priests this and that and pointing out Catholics as a whole when what these preist did had nothing to do with their teachings--- so I wanted to know how many cases and what not

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The 2007 Annual Report prepared by the Catholic bishops identifies 15 allegations of childhood sexual abuse in the U.S. Catholic Church from 2000 to 2007. Please note that there were 64,800,000 Catholics in the U.S. in 2005. http://cara.georgetown.edu/bulletin/index.htm

The 2007 Associated Press investigation identifies 2,570 public school teachers who, from 2001 through 2005, had their teaching licenses "taken away, denied, surrendered voluntarily, or restricted" because of sexual misconduct with minors.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families report "Child Maltreatment 2006" states that sexual abuse by Catholic clergy was less than one-half of one percent of all cases.

The report states that the perpetrators relationship to the victim was:

29.1% were Other Relatives

26.2% were Parents

24.4% were Others

6.9% were Unknown or Missing People

6.1% were Unmarried Partners of Parent

4.4% were Friends or Neighbors

1.8% were Child Daycare Providers

0.5% were Other Professionals

0.3% were Foster Parents

0.3% were Residential Facility Staff

0.1% were Legal Guardians

All clergy is a subset of Other Professionals and Catholic clergy is a subset of all clergy. http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/pubs/cm06/table...

Here is the complete document: http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/pubs/cm06/cm06....

Here is George Weigel's column detailing the Media's feeding frenzy on the Catholic Church: http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2010/03/sco...

Here is Father Thomas Brundage's account (he was the judge) of the trial of Father Lawrence Murphy and the misreporting of the media: http://catholicanchor.org/wordpress/?p=601

With love in Christ.

• 1 decade ago

I think I read somewhere that only 2% of all Catholic priests are child rapists.

However, even 2% is 2% too much. The number needs to be ZERO percent in order for the Roman Catholic church to truly be a church of God.

• 1 decade ago

How many reports? Enough. My brother was one. I assure you it was not a hoax.

For you to imply this issue isn't as Grand as it is....well, it's like the president of Iran denying the holocaust.

But simply because a few priests lost their way does not condemn the whole of the RCC. The Pope needs to clean up the mess and move forward with better self-policing.

Peace.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Everybody knows that 80% of these cases are false accusers who are helped by lawyers and even the media for their share of the cut,but they also know that God sends all guilty priests and false accusers and all their helpers and all their combined children into hell.but that was their choice.

Source(s): We love you all,the holy family.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • CC
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Source(s): An atheist perspective.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

its all kept secret by the church, but Billions have been paid out to the victims as "HUSH MONEY"

• 1 decade ago

Catholic Church sex abuse scandals around the world

Ettal Monastery, southern Germany

The Pope's decision to issue a letter to Roman Catholics in Ireland to try to prevent further cases of child abuse by priests follows a wave of sex abuse scandals which have rocked the Church around the world. Here is a round-up of some of those events:

IRELAND

Two major reports into allegations of paedophilia among Irish clergy last year revealed the shocking extent of abuse, cover-ups and hierarchical failings involving thousands of victims, and stretching back decades.

In one, four Dublin archbishops were found to have effectively turned a blind eye to cases of abuse from 1975 to 2004.

The Dublin archdiocese, it said, operated in a culture of concealment, placing the integrity of its institutions above the welfare of the children in its care.

In the wake of the report, four bishops resigned and the entire Irish hierarchy was summoned to the Vatican to give an account of themselves in person before the Pope.

Six months earlier, another report - the result of a nine-year investigation - documented some six decades of physical , sexual and emotional abuse at residential institutions run by 18 religious orders.

With the Church still reeling from the reports' findings, a fresh scandal erupted in March 2010 when it emerged the head of the Irish Catholic Church, Cardinal Sean Brady, was present at meetings in 1975 where children signed vows of silence over complaints against a paedophile priest, Fr Brendan Smyth.

Cardinal Brady resisted calls to resign and issued an apology .

A few days later, on 20 March, Pope Benedict XVI apologised to victims of child sex abuse by Catholic priests in Ireland but stopped short of an apology for abuses in other countries.

He then accepted the resignation of Bishop John Magee, an aide to three popes before being assigned to Ireland, who was found to have mishandled allegations of clerical sex abuse in his County Cork diocese.

UNITED STATES

Over the past two decades, the Roman Catholic Church in the US - with the archdiocese of Boston in particular - has been embroiled in a series of child sex scandals.

There was public outrage after abuses in the 1990s by two Boston priests, Paul Shanley and John Geoghan , came to light, with suspicions that Church leaders had sought to cover up their crimes by moving them from post to post.

In 2002 the then-Pope John Paul II called an emergency meeting with US cardinals, but allegations continued to emerge.

Despite an apology and pledge to take a tougher line, Archbishop Bernard Law resigned over the scandal at the end of the year.

In September 2003, the Boston archdiocese - the fourth-largest in the US - agreed to pay $85m to settle more than 500 civil suits accusing priests of sexual abuse and church officials of concealment.

A report commissioned by the Church the following year said more than 4,000 US Roman Catholic priests had faced sexual abuse allegations in the last 50 years, in cases involving more than 10,000 children - mostly boys.

A series of huge payouts has been made by US diocese to alleged victims of abuse - the largest being some $660m from the Los Angeles Archdiocese in 2007.

During a tour of the US in 2008, the Pope met privately with victims of abuse by priests and spoke of "the pain and the harm inflicted by the sexual abuse of minors".

In March 2010 documents emerged suggesting that Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, before he became Pope, failed to respond to letters from US clergy about cases of alleged child sex abuse by a priest in Wisconsin.

Archbishops had complained about Fr Lawrence Murphy in 1996 to a Vatican office led by the future Pope, but apparently received no response.

Fr Murphy, who died in 1998, is suspected of having abused some 200 boys at St John's School for the Deaf in St Francis, Wisconsin, between 1950 and 1974.

One of his alleged victims told the BBC the Pope had known for years about the accusations yet failed to take action.

Source(s): I couldn't post all but here is a link to the source. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8576268.stm
  • 1 decade ago

Hoax????????????grown men of god destroying young boys innocence ???????google moms of boys raped by preist's

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

lesser than what atheists do

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.