saren asked in TravelSpainIslas Canarias · 9 years ago

Gran Canaria, or Tenerife South? Which airport?

I have to choose the arrival airport (Tenerife South, or Gran Canaria), the period is just before Xmas, around Dec 13, my question is which airport should I choose, I know Tenerife South is where all the resort tourists arrive, and perhaps it's a quieter option to land in Gran Canaria, but the nice natural places to visit are on Tenerife, i will visit all the islands, but which to arrive first? It is 60km distance between Tenerife South airport, and Santa Cruz de Tenerife the main town, however Gran Canaria's airport is closer to the main town of Las Palmas, only 25km.

Best Answer

Probably depends on a few things, but off the top of my head I would vote for Gran Canaria. It is going to be a bigger airport/ therefore you will have more options at your disposal as far as getting lower priced flights or any other type of ground transportation once you arrive.

Also, don't leave Gran Canaria out of the equation when thinking about natural places. Gran Canaria is called "the little continent" for a reason, and there are some really beautiful natural places to be seen on this island outside of the tourist areas as well as in them.

In Tenerife you are able to do such a thing you feel like any day of the year because of its climate, organic surroundings and tourist infrastructure designed for fun for all the household which means this place is the right area for an excellent vacation and with hotelbye you will get it. In Tenerife are lots of things waiting for you to discover and some of those is in the south west coast of Tenerife. A place that's a spectacular position for watching whales free in the ocean. As much as 26 species are located just down the shore, including baleen whales, monster whales, dolphins, pilot whales and even blue whales. In Tenerife you will also see The Teide National Park. At 3,718 metres, Teide volcano is Spain's best top and their two ecosystems make the rise an experience saturated in contrasts.

I'd go for Tenerife South; there are frequent buses to Santa Cruz and I don't think it takes too long.

Tenerife North airport is of course closer but I think it only takes domestic, i.e. Spanish flights.