Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

A asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

can Alabama reach the National championship game?

If they beat Auburn who is no 1 and win out and win the SEC championship can they reach the National championship?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If Alabama wins out, which would include taking down currently #1 Auburn, they will still need quite a bit of help getting into the NC game.

It's hard to predict the Harris and Coaches Polls voters but they've consistently kept the undefeated teams ranked above any 1 loss team. As the end of the season approaches, they might cast their individual ballots with more emphasis on strength of schedule, but there is no guarantee they will.

The various computers rankings favoring undefeated teams over 1 loss teams is significant. The 6 computer systems have different algorithms but strength of schedule and win/loss record are obviously the two overriding factors. (Note: the highest and lowest for each team are dropped, and the remaining 4 rankings are used to calculate the computer ranking average)

Teams from the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 have big edges when it comes to the strength of schedule parts of the calculations. That's why an undefeated Oklahoma jumped to #1 in the computer rankings last week and undefeated Auburn did this week.

Alabama's current computer average poll number is .570 which ranked them 12th in the computer 1/3 of the BCS Poll. That low number is because of their 1 loss. As the season continues, and if Alabama wins out, their computer number will improve because of strength of schedule. But the loss is a huge factor to overcome in the calculations.

So, Alabama needs help. They need more support from the Harris and Coaches Poll voters. And, more importantly, they need at least 3 of the 5 teams (not counting Auburn) ranked above them, to lose a game.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What happened three years ago is irrelevant. As far as to this season, they still have LSU and Mississippi State to play, both who are ranked. If they win those games, then beat AU and win the SEC Championship, they will be in prime position to make the NCG. Basically, they just have to win out.

I still say losing by 14 is not being "slapped around". It's certainly a loss, but...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, if they win all the game which they have, also vs Auburn and win the SEC Championship.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I'm a nebraska fan and yeah i think the huskers are good but they have no offense. Alabama has one of the best defenses and a way better offense. After that game I say Texas doesn't deserve a national title. 27-13 Bama!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

If they win out, they probably will be in the championship. It's doubtful that MSU and Mizzou go unbeaten. Oregon probably will. I think Bama will jump BSU and TCU if they win out. However if there are two unbeatens from the BCS conferences, Bama will be left out of the title game.

You might be the exception on that, Bam. I remember when OSU lost by 14 to LSU, at LSU, everyone said they were "owned" "raped" and "slapped around".

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They shouldn't, but the love affair between the media and the SEC might just get them there.

They quickly forget how Utah slapped Bama around in the Sugar Bowl.

• 1 decade ago

Yes. That Auburn game will be the key.

• Mr. D
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

They can, yes. However they cant lose another game, and some other teams might need to lose(Michigan State and TCU)

• 1 decade ago

Yes, if they will try their best to succeed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.