Woke up from sleep gasping for air?

Well I went to bed around 12am woke up to a call at about 4am then 2 hours later abruptly woke up gasping for air. First thing I did when I woke up was turn on a light to make sure my room wasn't on fire or anything. For a good minute I couldn't breathe just try to. Eventually I was able to at least start... show more Well I went to bed around 12am woke up to a call at about 4am then 2 hours later abruptly woke up gasping for air. First thing I did when I woke up was turn on a light to make sure my room wasn't on fire or anything. For a good minute I couldn't breathe just try to. Eventually I was able to at least start coughing but that immediately led to vomiting and by the end of it I had managed to puke in 2 different toilets and a garbage can in under 3 minutes or so (new world record I bet). When I made it back to the mattress the upper part of my lungs felt like they were on fire, but during this entire episode my heart rate never spiked. Any idea what this might be?
Update: nope, I actually remember the dream and it definitely wasn't a nightmare.
Update 2: sorry but the demon thing made me lol. I'm gonna have to look into that one specifically just because theres no way I could have never heard of it. David, it's funny that you mentioned acid reflux. I don't have heart burn regularly at all, but yesterday I did eat about half a large pizza and before... show more sorry but the demon thing made me lol. I'm gonna have to look into that one specifically just because theres no way I could have never heard of it.

David, it's funny that you mentioned acid reflux. I don't have heart burn regularly at all, but yesterday I did eat about half a large pizza and before I went to bed I had a couple of those new sunkists which are made from freon and naptha I'm assuming.