Woke up from sleep gasping for air?

Well I went to bed around 12am woke up to a call at about 4am then 2 hours later abruptly woke up gasping for air. First thing I did when I woke up was turn on a light to make sure my room wasn't on fire or anything. For a good minute I couldn't breathe just try to. Eventually I was able to at least start coughing but that immediately led to vomiting and by the end of it I had managed to puke in 2 different toilets and a garbage can in under 3 minutes or so (new world record I bet). When I made it back to the mattress the upper part of my lungs felt like they were on fire, but during this entire episode my heart rate never spiked. Any idea what this might be?

nope, I actually remember the dream and it definitely wasn't a nightmare.

sorry but the demon thing made me lol. I'm gonna have to look into that one specifically just because theres no way I could have never heard of it.

David, it's funny that you mentioned acid reflux. I don't have heart burn regularly at all, but yesterday I did eat about half a large pizza and before I went to bed I had a couple of those new sunkists which are made from freon and naptha I'm assuming.

Favorite Answer

nightmare?

What you need to do is go down to your local health department and see if they can get you set up with some temporary insurance. But it does sound like sleep apnea and i was diagnosed when i was in the hospital. I had no sleep study or anything but if you walk in and mention sleep apnea then they probably would do a sleep study and then if it is that they will hook you up with a CPAP machine. My daughter is on a half face mask and it works great for her and she sleeps well ( she was diagnosed threw a sleep study ). She use to wake up gasping for air and could only sleep sitting up. She was not overweight though but still had sleep apnea. Also you might want to get a EEG done. You are welcome and good luck. But the health department should be able to help you out with insurance so you can see all the doctors you need and anything you need they pay for it. I have a friend who got all her medications and asthma inhaler etc paid for by the health department.

i have 2 suspicions, my first is something i am afflicted with, acid reflux. many people may say this is not what you have however i wake up about once a month unable to breath with strong acid burning my throat. after a bit i am able to swallow it down and breathe again. the other culprit could be sleep apnea, a disease that runs in my family. when afflicted you randomly stop breathing in the middle of the night, often several times and of varying lengths of time. have a friend ir family member near you as you sleep to listen and see if you do stop breathing. and now that i think of it it could be one more thing. during rem sleep your body is immobilized from the neck down, once waking you usually regain mobility but this could be a fluke where the autonomic function of breathing was stopped and you were unable to control it. but regardless of what is causing it, if it happens again i would visit a doctor.

edit: knowing what you ate has nearly confirmed my suspicion of acid reflux. every time i eat anything greasy or a lot before bed i am suddenly awoken unable to breathe etc...

Source(s): medical knowledge, stay in school kiddies :D

It could be a couple of things. The first is that you could've had a suffocation/drowning dream where your mind does assume you actually are suffocated. That's common.

What's a little less common (don't roll your eyes cuz it actually exists as a psychological condition) sometimes a demon (yes a demon) will pound on your chest and you will suddenly wake up gasping for air.

go to a doctor, it could be an underlying heart condition