Daniel asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

My dog has sarcoptic mange, please help.?

My dog was diagnosed w/sarcoptic mange. She is getting injections to treat it, but I am worried about re-infestation. I can't isolate her for 4-6 weeks while the shots begin to work and I am unclear on how often I should be cleaning everything she touches! I've cleaned everything in the house again and again, but how long until I can relax a little???

Best Answer

call the vet i feel sorry for you

• Gloria

To determine if there are mites on the skin the vet would have to do a test called a skin scrape. Then they look at the sample under the microscope for mites. Sometimes it comes back negative in the beginning stages despite the fact that the mites are there, they're just not in the sample collected. U can try an oatmeal shampoo, it won't treat mites or irritation but it will help to remoisturize the skin. Give the treatment time, it should help. Hope ur dog gets better soon!

You won't be able to "relax" for a long time.

Clean daily, basic cleaning like wiping things down, disinfecting, etc. Clean dog bedding/other bedding TWICE a week.

Yes, you CAN and HAVE TO isolate her while she's being treated.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_sarcoptic_man...