Would you pay extra to fly on a child and baby-free flight?

Why haven't airlines introduced baby and child-free flights yet?

They are in the business of making money and I'd be willing to bet that they'd make a lot of it if such an idea was put into effect.

Don't get me wrong.

I don't think children and infants are a problem on airplanes when they are quiet and well-mannered.

However, let's be honest here: Some parents are so inconsiderate, lazy and self-absorbed that they don't care if their offspring are bothering others.

Even certain restaurants across the country have banned screaming children from their establishments and sadly, a controversy was the result.

This is obviously a big problem if it has come to the point that a ban was needed.

Your thoughts, please?

Favorite Answer

Dear Crazy:

Yes I would pay extra!

I just returned home from a flight on "Screaming-Baby-Airlines"!

What an Ordeal that was. I love little kids~ but babies give me a

Massive Headache, when they Scream & Cry.

Ban The Babies~ from my future extra-pay flights!

I'm with YOU!

ENOUGH!

A child-free flight is something that many people - myself included - would pay extra for, but I don't think such a move would be possible for the majority of airlines, especially not at larger airports, which are already operating to maximum capacity.

At an airport such as London Heathrow, which is one of the busiest international airports in the world, there is not the opportunity for airlines to launch extra services, so they would have to work with the flights they already operate. With Heathrow serving so many destinations, but with only two runways, lots of cities are served by only one or two daily flights. With this in mind, an airline would be crazy to say no to infants travelling. If an infant can't travel, then nor can the rest of the family, and that is a huge loss to the airline. And, let's face it, airlines are more interested in making money than a screaming child or two on one of their flights upsetting other passengers.

My point is that where there is likely to be demand for this service (long haul), it would be impossible to implement. Where there is no demand (short haul - simply because most passengers can put up with a screaming child for an hour or two), child-free flights could easily be arranged. I say this because at most airports - Heathrow included - the higher frequency destinations tend to be much closer to home. For example, there are 10 daily flights to Manchester (flight time 35 minutes), 15 daily flights to Paris (flight time 40 minutes) and 15 daily flights to Amsterdam (flight time 40 minutes). If you needed to fly to any of these cities, would it really be a problem if a baby or two started to cry during the flight? Compare those frequencies to Miami (flight time 9 hours), which is served just four times a day between three different airlines, or Los Angeles (flight time 11 hours), which is served eight times a day between five different airlines. With some airlines only able to offer one flight a day to a particular city, it would not be possible for them to cater for those passengers who are bothered by screaming children.

We should also consider the current economic climate. Even if an airline could stick more aircraft in the air, the cost would be astronomical, so they would need to be able to fill the seats - something they are struggling to do with the flights they operate already.

Perhaps an easier solution would be to introduce a child-friendly section of the cabin, much like the smoking and non-smoking cabins years ago. Whilst it wouldn't eliminate noise completely, youngsters would be confined to one section of the aircraft.

Indirectly there probably are child and baby-free flights. Those are usually all-Business class flights. These flights are designed for the business traveler. Singapore Airlines has an all-Business class flight from Singapore to Los Angeles as well as an all-Business class seating flight from Singapore to Newark, New Jersey. British Airways has an all-Business class aircraft operating from London-City Airport to New York JFK. Since these are all-Business class seats and the ticket prices are expensive, you will rarely find families traveling on these flights.

But I also wonder if the airlines had this policy of banning small children and babies what kind of backlash they would receive from the flying public in terms of discrimination. Also some families who do travel may be using frequent flier miles that a business traveler has accumulated while flying for their company on business trips. Therefore the airlines will not want to alienate their business travelers who many times pay top dollar for flights since many business travelers do have children.

I have heard on the news that an idea has been suggested to put families which small children and babies in a designated area of the aircraft. However I don't think the airlines can enforce telling passengers they must sit in that area, especially since you can now select what seat you want to sit in when you buy your tickets on the internet. I think if there was a designated section of the aircraft for small children and babies I would be more preferential to that airline.

• ?

Yes, absolutely, anyone that's done a long haul flight with a kid screaming it's head off or running around a plane being a pain up the backside will agree.

Listen to what bill hicks says about kids on planes - he's 100% spot on, RIP. Bill

you will possibly no longer additionally be allowed to deliver it on the flight as carry-on using fact if it does not slot interior the overhead bin, it quite is going to likely be risky and reason discomfort to different passengers. i does no longer opt for to be sitting next to you which incorporate your infant, 2 bags, and a automobile seat! next time, e book your baby its very own seat for goodness sake - he/she is a guy or woman too, no longer carry-on bags! it quite is no longer quite secure for a baby to commute on your lap. Do you no longer see the irony right here? you're keen to have your baby take a seat on your lap for the flight, yet might desire to deliver the motor vehicle seat because you does no longer have him/her take a seat on your lap for a automobile holiday? thrilling good judgment...

No I wouldn't. Crying babies don't bother me that much and I have a great set of noise cancelling headphones.

maybe if i was sensitive to noise...

but for me, it is not a big deal; it's only 2-15 hours out of your life!

nope children are people too and lot of kids have divorced parnets so how would get to their destination