What happens when an electrical wire comes into contact with water?

My first impression was that if you touched a wire with a wet hand you would get shocked but then I wondered what the black covering of the wire was for. That maybe the black covering was some kind of protection against shock? maybe im just stupid but if some expert could sum up the info that is needed to answer... show more My first impression was that if you touched a wire with a wet hand you would get shocked but then I wondered what the black covering of the wire was for. That maybe the black covering was some kind of protection against shock? maybe im just stupid but if some expert could sum up the info that is needed to answer the question above I would appreciate
3 answers 3