Does anyone use floppy disks anymore?

I am a PC Tech who has experienced that when it comes to finding floppy upgrades for the newer main boards, there is very little to choose from. Is this the end of the floppy drive? Is it finally going to be rendered obsolete soon?

• Ben
    Favorite Answer

The floppy drive has been obsolete for about 10 years now. I haven't seen a computer in the last 5 years that even comes with the drive. They just don't hold enough to be useful. You can get a flash drive for next to nothing that holds as much data as 1000 floppies.

• Toby

The end of the floppy drive happened a long time ago. Still, to answer your question, yes, unfortunately they do. Let me tell you a longish story. I work at a court of law. For various political reasons in my state, court reporters provide their own computers. They're not like all the other users you use computers that we provide for them. They can use any OS, computer, and software they want. So five years ago, we made the decision to stop supporting floppy drives. We give a flash drive to anyone who wants one. We give them away like candy.

Since then, we started to force the court reporters to upload their transcripts to this backup thing on the Internet. Well guess what? There is one court reporter who is still in love with F-ing DOS and Word Perfect 5.1 (which doesn't even have WYSIWYG). She still runs DOS 5.0 (not even 6.x for the love of the Mother of God, the sweet Virgin Mary). Well guess what? She's not getting any Internet with DOS 5.0. So we have to provide a God forsaken (I'm trying REALLY hard not to curse) Windows XP PC with a USB floppy drive, and support the freaking thing JUST so that she can upload her Word Perfect 5.1 files to this backup site.

But again, to answer your full question: The end of the floppy drive is here, and thank God, because magnetic storage sucks.

Floppy disks are very primitive and dont allow much storage so if you have floppy disks some pc still run them but try to swith to the 21st century lol

Yeah, it's a dead technology. It has been for some time now.

The most common Floppy disks only hold 1.44MB of data.

Now-a-days you could get a 2GB flash drive for only $6.

I'm sure there are people that still use them, somewhere... but it's pointless when you could spend $6-$10 on a flash drive with ~2000x the capacity.

Ben has a good point.floppy discs have become extinct.i have only seen motherboards with the ancient floppy connector.IDE is the next one i guess.

i can email my self more data from my phone then i can save in a floppy...id say its dead