? asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 10 years ago

Can i still join the U.S Air Force with a misdemeanor DUI?

I am currently 18 now, but at the time that i got a DUI i was a minor.

i'm wondering does that have any effect on me joining the Air Force?

i haven't been convicted of the DUI yet. my next court date is coming up

is it true that if you join the military if your recruiter goes to court with you

all charges will be dropped? Also If i'm convicted to pay off the fine will i be

able to do community service to work off my debts.?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

DUI as a minor does have an effect on your enlistment especially into the Air Force. If you do not tell the Air Force you will likely end up missing your court dates, getting a warrant issued for your arrest, and then separated for not disclosing the matter at meps. There were a few guys at basic with me who got yanked because they failed to inform the military of pending charges.

The military recruiter will not attend court with you, or any military representative for that matter as you are not an American soldier as of yet. Technically the recruiters job is to weed out the bad apples so to speak out of the bunch prior to sending them to meps where it would waste a lot of resources. Though none of them do that, mine lied about at least 70% of everything he told me.

Civilian court doesn't care about the military bottom line. It doesn't matter how many awards you got, how many wars you have been in, or how many representatives from the military you have on your side, civilian court is just that and they handle things their own way. As well, a lot of judges are past military and might actually be even more upset at you about the whole deal. That does not mean you can not enlist, just not likely in the Air Force.

If you are convicted of the DUI, how you are to pay your fines will be at the discretion of the courts. Typically it is the probation department that takes care of fines, but that information will be given to you upon your court verdict.

Just food for thought, even if you fight some charges pleading not guilty and having them dismiss the case the military can go off of the booking charges alone and not wait for a conviction of guilty. Once you get in don't ever place yourself in that situation again. Early wrongful judgments can follow you for a long long time.

Source(s): Navy Veteran
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Criminal Records Search Database - http://CriminalRecords.raiwi.com/?kvRl
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Dui Air Force

• 4 years ago

No. The USAF does now not receive humans that ever had a DUI. The Army and Navy do waivers for DUI's. You have a tight scan ranking and will qualify for a few well jobs in both department. You have got to wait till after your courtroom date and pay your exceptional wholly earlier than you'll be eligible to enlist. Tough holiday you cannot become a member of your first alternative department of provider. But you continue to can enlist and serve and positioned this at the back of you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • AD
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

If it's still open you can't join. The recruiter isn't allowed by military regulation to accompany you to the court in hopes of getting the charge dropped or reduced so you can join. Once your case is closed you can attempt to join but it depends on if the Air Force will give you a waiver (which I doubt but a phone call can confirm or deny for you).

• 10 years ago

I believe once you've done u community service it will be dropped. But you still have to let the air force know about it other wise u can get discharged later down the road if they found out you lied.

Source(s): Research.
  • 10 years ago

if all else fails i will guarantee the Army will take you...

• 10 years ago

only if you want to be r*ped by conrad bain!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.