Why isn't it socially unacceptable to wave a confederate flag?

That's like me displaying my German pride and heritage through the use of a swastika. Don't people understand history and how the confederate flag can be perceived as being very offensive. And please don't try and slant the causes of the civil war by stating that it was solely fought on the basis of... show more That's like me displaying my German pride and heritage through the use of a swastika. Don't people understand history and how the confederate flag can be perceived as being very offensive. And please don't try and slant the causes of the civil war by stating that it was solely fought on the basis of state rights. I have a minor in history and very well know that justification for the southern cause is a sad excuse for the atrocities that were committed under the guidance of "The southern way of life."
Update: Something that is "socially unacceptable" is permitted by free speech and I'm while aware of that. Would you disagree with the general viewpoint of neo-nazism being frowned upon by the vast community but still within their legal rights to assemble?
Update 2: What chapter of history am I forgetting when you can justify the public display of a symbol of division and intolerance being something entirely different.