Why do I have to pay sales tax online for clothing when I live in NJ?

I live in NJ. I'm trying to order some clothes online, and know that NJ has an exemption from clothing tax. However, for $99.85 of clothing, this retailer is trying to charge 7% tax, or close to $7. I'm wondering if this is an exception to the rule because it is an online sale? I'm really not sure why they are charging tax on shirts when I put my billing address that I live in NJ. I'd like to get an answer tonight.

Favorite Answer

If NJ does not tax clothing then they are screwing up by the numbers. You'll have to contact the vendor if you want to try to resolve the matter. Or just go elsewhere to shop.

Sales taxes are based upon the delivery address, and if the seller has a nexus in NJ they should know what is taxable and what is not.

Nj Sales Tax Online

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I live in NJ. I'm trying to order some clothes online, and know that NJ has an exemption from clothing tax. However, for $99.85 of clothing, this retailer is trying to charge 7% tax, or close to $7. I'm wondering if this is an exception to the rule because it is an online sale? I'm...

Source(s): pay sales tax online clothing live nj: https://tr.im/dhPpj

Call the company and find out why. If they can't give you a good answer, order from somewhere else.

I live in PA which also doesn't tax clothing. I ordered some shorts and they wanted to charge me tax. When I called to find out why, she said because they were considered swim trunks they are taxed. And after I thought about, I remembered that swim trunks are taxed. The answer made sense so I continued on. So there may be a valid reason, or they don't know what they're doing.

pay sales tax online clothing live nj

While sales tax is normally based on where you take delivery of an item (ship to address), some states may require charging sales tax at the source for on-line or mail order. So where did (or will) the items ship from?

Salestaxonline

• tro

it may be that the online store charges sales tax on every order regardless of where it is going to be used, it sounds like they are not doing business properly