Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 9 years ago

How do citizens become and remain informed members of society?

i have civics i am having trouble understanding. i would like to have these questions answered according to civics in north carolina.

1. How do citizens become and remain informed members of society?

2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of seeking political office?

3. Should citizens be forced to preform jury duty?

....again i would like to have these questions answered according to north carolina civics please. :)

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

1. They get involved. They meet people, socialize, watch the news, read the newspaper, and pay attention to what his happening around them.

2. Advantages- you have the opportunity to make a difference in your jurisdiction, can make or change laws to benefit society, speak up for the poor or oppressed, some also like it because of the good pay and excellent benefits, others like it for the power it brings. Disadvantages- everything you do have done is criticized. Media and opponents seek out your life history in hopes of ruining your career and finding something bad about you. Your life is constantly being monitored. If you make a wrong decision or vote in a way someone doesn't like, you will make enemies very quickly. The power also has the ability to corrupt.

3. Citizens are required to respond to a jury summons. They are not forced to perform jury duty unless chosen to do so, but they are required to go to court if they are a candidate for jury duty. It does give the person a sense of involvement, that they are doing something for the community, and that they are being active in the justice process, so it is a good thing and people should continue to be required to perform jury duty when called to.

• 4 years ago

At my job it slows down a lot of our processes as we have to wait for the bilingual employees (like myself) to translate or finish what we were doing and complete the transaction myself. Then we here complaints on how we seem to help the English speakers faster than the Spanish only speakers. And why can't the immigrant be bilingual? There is an old stereotype that Americans go everywhere in the world expecting the people to speak English but not in our own country?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.