How to keep a conversation going when you have absolutely nothing to talk about?

When I'm talking to acquaintances, I just run out of things to talk about. For example my cross country team, we always share laughs and what not. But when we get in a circle and talk, I just don't have anything to contribute because I can't think of anything to talk about. Or when I stand next to someone I just can't think of anything to talk about at all. I don't know them well enough so there is like no common topic or something I know about them to start a conversation with.

What should I do?

Oh and stuff like "where'd you get your shirt from" is kind of stupid to ask because I've tried it and it doesn't get far.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Watch the news, read a few things, listen to the radio. There are loads of things going on all around us, just get in the know about general things. What did you see while moving about the cosmos. Smashed window, snowing, accident, temperature, sunshine, darker mornings, so an so forth. Start with a little snip it, hold one or two back, so your not leaving to big a gap. Be enthusiastic, all ways best to start a chat, with a question, such as "excuse me but, are you with toms crew". " Hi how things dont seem not to have seen you about lately, been on holiday". After the snip it comes your general knowledge, if you'v gotten up to date on the goings on in the news TV, books, mags ect. Then there should be common ground, you can lead our respond. Your driving the conversation, but even as a passenger, be aware and be ready to take the wheel. If you dont know anything you cant contribute, knowledge is the money of conversation. When you all sit around, talking, listen, nod if you agree, or say why you agree. With out the initial effort, to understand, listening, and contributing, you wont be part of the circle, get in early relax, be confident. The thought is harder than the doing, practice, in time it will come.

start talking about random things,, about what you are going to do tommorow. if you could live anywhere where would it be. as a lot of questions then just go from there. like what is your favorite cheese (i know wierd). or if you could be anything in the world what would you be, just things like that. hopefully i helped!

practice with some family members...aka role play