Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Do you support alaskan independence?

Do you support alaskan independence?

i was born in alaska but left when i was 2

do you think alaska would be better off its own country with all that oil?

i noticed someone selling alaskan passports online

i havent been to alska for many years but do you know if there is an independence movement there

also have the canadians ever tried to annex alaska??

Update:

couldnt alaska be like norway though?

a huge barely populated but very rich and succesfull nation

Update 2:

i went to school in canada and now i live in kuwait working for an oil company

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

ABSOLUTELY.

I am a lifelong Alaskan, in addition, I am Alaska Native.

I support this because we, as a nation COULD--

1.) have control over ALASKAN oil and natural gas (Canada my ***, its Alaska's gas)

2.) have greater Alaska Native protection and rights

3.) not have to put up with American stereotypes

4.) make our own laws unique to Alaska

5.) use our other abundant natural resources and renewable resources to be successful. If Finland could do it, we can too.

There is no such thing as an Official Alaskan Passport. The thing you saw is a tourist attraction made by the Alaskan Visitors Bureau.

And no, Canadians have never "tried" to annex Alaska.

I wouldn't want to be a citizen of either

- just a citizen of the Republic of Alaska :)

Source(s): a member of the Alaskan Independence Party
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Great so then the Independent Nation of Alaska could take all of that oil money and use it to buy a military that can defend itself from the Russian bear that Sarah Palin can see from her house.

Seriously what you're proposing is an express train to the land of extreme poverty for the Alaskans

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Just as in Texas, the right wing whack jobs have raised the talking point of leaving the Union and becoming their own separate nation. Rally the people, so to speak, for their own political benefit while always knowing that they could not do so and even would not do so.

Alaska would be better off if was returned to the Intuit Indians.

They managed their land and economy for 1000's of years without our politics and guidance. Life for them is easier now simply because they use modern tools to live the old way of their ancestors. Their life would have im,proved if we simply sold them these tools and showed them how to use them. Beyond that, they did not prosper in life from our intrusion into their life.

BTW, Canada cannot annex the state of another country. Where did you go to school?

• BruceN
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

They called it Seward's Folly. It receives US tax dollars for roads and other infrastructure projects and welfare, and provides little benefit to the the lower 48. It is the most expensive state, per capita in cost to US taxpayers. It elected Sarah Palin as governor, which shows its average IQ is pretty low.

We would be happy to get rid of it, but I doubt we could ever be so lucky.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You sound like the type that would pay for an Alaskan passport.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I do support it, but they would be broke in a year, as 90% of their tax base is from the lower 48.

• izzo
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

How much they pay for an Alaskan passport , and who are the sellers ?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sure just keep Palin there . And one day oil will be CHEAP because bio fuels will take it's place.

• Quan
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Nope. It belongs to the USA. The people who want it to be independent can feel free to get the hell out.

• If it'll get Palin out of our hair.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.