Poor acceleration and hill climbing in a 1990 Toyota Pickup?

Okay, so I just got this new truck. It is a 1990 Toyota Pickup stick 4 wheel drive. It also has 31" tires, which are on stock rims. I'm not sure what stock tire size is. First of all this thing is slower than anything I have ever driven. When I start it up in the morning and it is pretty cold (67F and... show more Okay, so I just got this new truck. It is a 1990 Toyota Pickup stick 4 wheel drive. It also has 31" tires, which are on stock rims. I'm not sure what stock tire size is. First of all this thing is slower than anything I have ever driven. When I start it up in the morning and it is pretty cold (67F and below) it spits and sputters and sometimes stalls. When I do get it to start and stay on, it idles really really rough. Like I'm thinking it needs new motor mounts and can feel it in the cab and it shakes my hand while on the stick. I have to rev the engine up to about 2500-3000 RPM and then let the clutch out so I wont stall it. The thing had a rebuild (replaced pistons, rings, head gasket, cam, new clutch etc) less than 40,000 miles ago. It has a K&N air filter. Also it gets like 6 miles a gallon, literally. I know it is hard to diagnose these things via internet, but what does it sound like it could be? Also, my cruise is not working, the "Cruise" light on the dash goes, and stays on but wont keep the truck at speed at all. Any ideas on the cruise? Last but not least, it has almost no power going up paved highway and city street hills no matter how fast I am going to start off. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

It is regular unleaded gasoline. i live in the U.S. I wish it were diesel though. That would be cool.

Also, it is the 3.0 six cylinder.
Update: Also, tonight I was still trying to diagnose the problem, and I left my truck running while I was inside for about ten minutes. I walk out and I see the catalytic converter was glowing red and I could feel the heat radiating through my pants.