Is "cultured dextrose" a vegan ingredient?

What exactly do they mean by this anyway? I realize dextrose is just another way to say glucose, so its a form of sugar, but does the "cultured" part mean they ferment it or add the kind of bacteria found in yogurt?

Update:

This is an ingredient in Trader Joes Hummus.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes it is, I checked out the 'vegan Ingredients List"

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Cultured Dextrose

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is "cultured dextrose" a vegan ingredient?

What exactly do they mean by this anyway? I realize dextrose is just another way to say glucose, so its a form of sugar, but does the "cultured" part mean they ferment it or add the kind of bacteria found in yogurt?

Source(s): quot cultured dextrose quot vegan ingredient: https://biturl.im/HK8vk
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Cultured dextrose helps control the outgrowth of pathogens and spoilage organisms in refrigerated meals. It can replace chemical preservatives like sorbates and benzoates for a clean label, and is particularly effective against Lactobacilli, yeast, molds, Listeria monocytogenes and heat-resistant spore formers.

When MicroGARD is added as an ingredient to a food, the common name "cultured skim milk", "fermented skim milk", "cultured dextrose" or "fermented dextrose", as applicable, is required to be declared in the list of ingredients on the final food.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

I am pretty sure it is vegan. Hummus is usually a vegan snack, especially if it is from a health food store like trader Joe's. I would actually call the store itself. They usually have a list of items in their store that are vegan. They actually gave me a print out last time I was there. If they do not know, then call the corporate number. Honestly, I am pretty sure it would be vegan. I am not exactly sure what that terminology exactly refers to, but you can figure it isn't that healthy if you don't know. They actually have a good recipe for hummus on PETAs website if you want to try that as well. Good luck!

Source(s): Vegan.
  • I don't think so.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

it is not

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.