Is "cultured dextrose" a vegan ingredient?

What exactly do they mean by this anyway? I realize dextrose is just another way to say glucose, so its a form of sugar, but does the "cultured" part mean they ferment it or add the kind of bacteria found in yogurt?

This is an ingredient in Trader Joes Hummus.

Favorite Answer

Yes it is, I checked out the 'vegan Ingredients List"

Cultured Dextrose

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): quot cultured dextrose quot vegan ingredient: https://biturl.im/HK8vk

Cultured dextrose helps control the outgrowth of pathogens and spoilage organisms in refrigerated meals. It can replace chemical preservatives like sorbates and benzoates for a clean label, and is particularly effective against Lactobacilli, yeast, molds, Listeria monocytogenes and heat-resistant spore formers.

When MicroGARD is added as an ingredient to a food, the common name "cultured skim milk", "fermented skim milk", "cultured dextrose" or "fermented dextrose", as applicable, is required to be declared in the list of ingredients on the final food.

I am pretty sure it is vegan. Hummus is usually a vegan snack, especially if it is from a health food store like trader Joe's. I would actually call the store itself. They usually have a list of items in their store that are vegan. They actually gave me a print out last time I was there. If they do not know, then call the corporate number. Honestly, I am pretty sure it would be vegan. I am not exactly sure what that terminology exactly refers to, but you can figure it isn't that healthy if you don't know. They actually have a good recipe for hummus on PETAs website if you want to try that as well. Good luck!

Source(s): Vegan.
  • I don't think so.

it is not