What does English sound like to people who speak other languages?

Like if it isn't your first language. Even though I can't understand the language, I think Spanish sounds beautiful and exotic, French sounds sexy and fancy etc.

• Lagom
    Best Answer

Hi! :) english is my second language, and I've never even been to an english speaking country, but I've just heard the language for so long (through tv and music) that I've been getting pretty used to it. anyways, I'll try to answer your question:

the american accent sounds like you have some kind of gum stuck on your palate, making you unable to open your mouths properly when you speak :) it sounds sort of cool though. and sorta nasal. you always hear when there's american coming from far away, I don't know if it's the nasality of your voices or simply because you're kind of loud :P

the british accent sounds more posh and more melodic, and also very authoritative (I guess that's why there's always a brit narrating nature shows and stuff like that) . I like british accents, they sounds really good. australians sound very happy, since they always go up in tone at the end of each sentence. I think australian sounds very happy and cute :)

I'll ask my mum what she thinks english sounds like, her english is not that good so maybe she'll have a better answer:

my mum thought british english almost sounded a bit old fashioned, what she gave as example was "a cup of tea", so I guess she associates it with tea as well, lol. american english she said sounded very nasal, and she also said she thought it sounded kind of ugly. when she mimiced it she did like "whee whee whee" and then added that the american accent sounded kind of whining. she said she thought it was quite a big difference between american english and british english. she didn't know what australian english sounded like, so she couldn't really give her opinion on that.

anyways, that's all I got, hope this helped some at least :)

Source(s): me and my mum

I think to Asians it sounds like what their language sounds like to us. Very confusing and really fast speakers. But to Europeans i'm thinking it may be, eh. I'm sure they've heard someone speak in English many times, so it probably has lost its exotic appeal. Well that's if it had one in the first place.

I think english sounds more like a blur to people, It is too fast for people to try to make sense at what you are talking about. English has so many similar words that other people might think you are talking about something else. For example. to, two, too.

See I m an indian and no one could answer this question better than me.

Sometimes it sounds like different but sometimes it sounds like i just want to improve my English.

hey well i had that experience cause back that i didn' talked english ... well i think spanish sounds very nice ! but me and my friend always thought it sounded so funny like not cool at all if someone talks english.lol !

thats my 2 cents

At first it sounds like badatadablabradratamada (basically just hard consonants and a soft vowel)

Source(s): Originally Russian, so I have no room to speak...

I kinda agree with that statement.. "I think english sounds more like a blur to people". but, hopefully, I feel I'm getting used to it already.

Here some russian perfect songs. Rate 'em & the russian language. (Please watch till the end.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM1gotnw8QY

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv0OlUOescU

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njywne4GbPU

Youtube thumbnail

&ob=av2e

it would sound like music played on beautiful violin by a gorgeous naked goddess

I like to listen the american girls....but i love the accent of the English girls!!!

probably sounds flat and choppy lol