Susan asked in HealthOther - Health · 10 years ago

When you get a bone marrow transplant, does your DNA change?

If yes, does a man pass down the genes of the donor?

Favorite Answer

It does for a very short time (few minutes) take on the components of another persons DNA, but it soon converts back entirely to your own. The same with blood transfusions. The DNA of another is absorbed and excreted quickly. It is just as easily absorbed and disposed of by merely kissing another person.

Bone Marrow Transplant Dna

• .

The first answer is completely incorrect.

During a bone marrow transplant, not only the marrow but also the blood is essentially completely transplanted.

They use high dose chemo and full body radiation to kill the patients' existing marrow, and all the white blood cells in the circulating blood. This is so that there is room for the donated stem cells to engraft, and also so that the patient doesnt go into rejection and die.

The donor stem cells engraft in the bones, and start producing marrow. Because it is the DONOR's stem cells, and your own blood stem cells are gone, your marrow is the SAME dna as the donor, and so is the blood it produces.

And it will be for the rest of your life. In addition, if the donor was a different blood type than the patient (which of course can only be done in case of universal donors/receivers), the patient will end up with the same blood type as the donor.

It does NOT change any characteristics or anything like that. Just changing the dna of the marrow and blood. The same is true of any organ donation. For example, someone with a donor liver will ALWAYS have a liver that has their donor's dna.

Regular blood donations DONT do this because you arent trasplanting any organ like that. The blood cells transfused will circulate, do their job, and then die off. Having never altered or changed anything within the patient's body.

The patient becomes a chimera - meaning that they have two different sets of dna. Their marrow and blood of their donor, and the rest of the body their own. Chimeras happen a LOT in nature, but its rarely known until there is a reason for them to have dna testing. It usually happens from twins, especially if one dies, a mother can have the dna strands of her children, two sperm fertalize an egg but dont make twins and instead make a chimera... crazy stuff.. its one of the causes of having two different color eyes. but, being a chimera from a transplant will NOT cause any characteristic changes.

And, likewise, since you are ONLY changing marrow and blood, you will not pass down the inherited characteristics. Inherited characteristics are determined by the dna contained in the sperm and egg... bone marrow transplant wont change that.

Source(s): ..... My donor was a male, I am female. My blood and marrow has their dna. And before the transplant I was o+, and now I am a+. I flipped officially somewhere around week 3 after engraftment. But, at the time they were doing the dna testing on my blood to see how much was my own and how much was the donation. You can take the records and literally watch my blood type changing over those weeks.
    • seezo544 years agoReport

Thank you for this very well written and thorough explanation. This is something I was very curious about and I am glad I didn't go by the first response and went on to yours. Cheers!

• Lynn

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axl8x

Yes, if you have 100% donor chimerism, it means your bone marrow's cells are essenatially all from the donor. That is part of the goal of the transplant, to make sure the donor marrow establishes within the marrow and produce immunocompetent cells that will help fight off whatever malignancy the transplant was done in the first place.

I donated bone marrow to a gentleman's with a different blood type , but we shared 13 out of 15 genomes a closer match than any of his family, he now has my blood type and my DNA, fascinating stuff.

just want to elaborate. M, your blood will be donor and saliva, the recipient. And to the person who said it must be a universal donor if different blood type, that is incorrect. An A+ person can donate to a B+ person. Neither of which are universal. And the new blood type would be A+

I received mine frome my brother , we were 6/6 match.He is 9 yrs my jr, however we always had a certain way about ourselves. I was curious about the dna factor! He and I feel more like twins now. Any one else?

wow, hope the donor never commits a crime. :(

would a saliva test show the original DNA or the donor DNA