Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

Anatomy and Physiology Critical Thinking Help?

I'm stuck on three questions. I have an idea, but I'm just not too sure. Any help is much appreciated.

1. When Delilah returned from jogging, she was breathing heavily, sweating profusely, and complaining that her legs ached and she felt weak. On the basis of what you have learned about muscle energy metabolism, answer the following questions:

Why was Delilah breathing heavily and why was she sweating profusely?

What ATP harvesting pathway (metabolic process) have her working muscles been using that leads to such breathing pattern?

What metabolic product(s) might account for her sore muscles and her feeling of muscle weakness?

2. Drugs are used to relax muscles during major surgery. Which of the two chemicals described would make the best muscle relaxant and WHY? Chemical A binds with and blocks Ach receptors on muscle cells. Chemical B floods the sarcoplasm of muscle cells with calcium ions. Which would be the best muscle relaxant?________ WHY?

3.Gregor, who works at a pesticide factory, comes to the clinic complaining of muscle spasms that interfere with his movement and breathing. A blood test shows that he has been contaminated with an organophosphate pesticide, which is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. How would you explain to Gregor what his happening to him & why?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi Amanda,

Why the massive question ha ha.

Answer 1:

She was breathing heavily to improve gas exchange (CO2 out/O2 in) so that she can get more energy through the more efficient oxidative metabolism which requires oxygen so that pyruvate from glycolisis can be used to produce Acetyl-CoA and thus move towards Kreb cycle. Another reason she is breathing heavily is that CO2 is an acid and she helps control blood pH. She was also sweating profusely to help thermoregulate her body temperature by allowing sweat to leave the open pores and take away the heat from the now dilated capillaries that are near the dermal surface.

The ATP metabolic process used has been glycolysis which requires oxygen as aformentioned to move to the kreb cycle. In the absence of oxygen fermentation of pyruvate takes place which leads to the formation of lactic acid causing a burning sensation in the muscles, the fact that glycolysis only produces 2 ATP instead of 38 also leads to weakness.

Answer 2:

Since competitive inhibition of Ach receptors would not allow nicotinic receptors on the end plate to function thus negating Na/K pumps and completely stopping the action potential to even take place and thus calcium would not be released. If I flooded the sarcoplasm with calcium it could to increase allosteric modulation of tropomyosin and thus unblocking the binding sites even more. The fact is that a muscle relaxant that blocks Ach receptors exist and is called tubocurarine. As a general rule we use calcium channel blockers to relax muscle, extra calcium can lead to tetani.

Answer 3:

Ach is a substance that attaches to many things in our body allowing it to move this includes breathing. Normally this Ach is broken down once released, however the fact that it is not causes a constant stimulation of those same muscles.

I hope this helps you out.

Sincerely,

Dan MD

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

We suggest utilizing http://www.vpnmaster.org/ to unblock web sites. I am using their services for more than 3 years with no troubles.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.