Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 10 years ago

What is your opinion on Angela Lansbury?

I think she is a great actress. I liked her in Murder She Wrote the best.

BQ - Did you know she turned 85 today?

• Kini
    Favorite Answer

I knew she was around 83 years old. I think she is very talented and hard working. I liked Angela Lansbury from the first movies she made in 1944 until recently when she was in an episode of Law and Order and I still watch re-runs of Murder She Wrote on Hallmark Channel. She was known for giving her old friends at MGM roles on her show. I remember her in Samson and Delilah and would like to ask her how it was to kiss Victor Mature. lol She had a lot of roles that no one recalls today because she was the second banana and sometimes faded out of the script. What an amazing career ! She has worked for 65 years !

PS. How can this type of question generate a thumbs down?

Some of the roles I liked were in State of the Union, Manchurian Candidate, Dorian Gray, Gaslight, Harvey Girls, Kind Lady, Mister Buddwing, Bedknobs and so many TV movies.

Murder She Wrote made her a household name. I loved that series and still watch it from time to time from Netflix. I like seeing all the old actors then and those that are old now. I think the first time I saw her was an old black and white where she played the maid. . .she was lovely. Yes, that was Gaslight. I was sad when she decided not to do anymore Murder She Wrote but until I looked the series up on Netflix I had no idea just how many seasons she did. Well, Angela, if you're reading this. Thanks for it all and Happy Birthday.

Until I read the answers I had forgotten a lot of those movies. Victor Mature was my mom's favorite. My dad used to call him Victor Manure. . .but my mom drug him to all his movies.

Did you see her at the Oscars? Still lookin' good.

Happy Birthday Angela!

Angela Lansbury is a remarkable woman. She acts, dances and sings. That's a lot of talent! She played Elizabeth Taylor's sister in National Velvet.

I just loved her! I miss that show so much. I find it sad that Barbara Billingsly died today on Angela's birthday I think she was 94 or something but the Beaver's mom lived a good long life and she was so much fun to watch when I was just a small child!

I always though Angela would be a great person to play Clue with :)

Great Q!

I have always liked Angela Lansbury. She was at her most beautiful in the movie "The Court Jester" with Danny Kaye and Basil Rathbone. I agree about her performance in "Gaslight". She held her own with Ingrid Bergman, Charles Boyer and Joseph Cotton. Who can forget her wonderful performance as the evil mother in "The Manchurian Candidate"?

• robin

I remember her first film, Portrait of Dorian Grey,with George Saunders both British actors,she sang "Yellow Bird" a Victorian Music Hall song.Her grandfather George Lansbury was a great socialist. Although she is a Londoner she cannot do a Cockney accent. Luv her.

I have always liked Angela Landbury. Did you know that she played a maid in the original 'Gaslight'? I too can enjoy 'Murder She wrote' on a daily basis here in Italy on FoxCrime (yes, I can see it in english). Happy Birthday Angela!

She was brilliant in "The Manchurian Candidate." And gutsy too, considering what a politically and sexually outrageous film that was. I saw the DVD recently and in the commentary the director, John Frankenheimer, recalls that everyone involved in the production was a little worried that at that moment in the Cold War, the U.S. government might consider the anti-communist stuff too provocative, so they discretely sent word to Jack Kennedy, by means of his pal Frank Sinatra, letting him know that they wanted to do the picture and asking for his blessing. "Great!" Kennedy is supposed to have said. "Who's going to play the mother?"

The scene where Angela passionately kisses her son, played by the gay actor Laurence Harvey, is surely one of the weirdest love scenes in movie history. In the book, of course, she doesn't merely kiss him. But this was 1962 and Hollywood had to make SOME concessions to accepted standards of propriety.

She played Sybil in the original film of The Picture of Dorian Gray. She was strikingly beautiful. She's one of those actresses who can do it all, sing, dance, you name it. I am one of the few who never watched Murder, She Wrote, but Angela is a class act.